Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-05-2012, 07:17 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

New Moen Faucet still has sloooooow drip

So my old faucet was leaking from the stem/base (just below handle to control flow and temp). It is a single hole kitcken faucet. So I first start taking it apart to dx the problem. I turned off the supply valves for both hot and cold to faucet. Turned faucet on to get remaing water out and the warm water still was dripping out of the faucet continoulsy. So I turned off my main water supply to house and it still was dripping. this was very puzzling to me. Water was also dripping for the nuts around the valves but after tightening them, it stopped. So now I have installed a brand new moen faucet as I figured my old one was busted. The new faucet does not leak from the base/stem any more and seems to be functioning well, except i can still see drops of water forming and eventually dripping. Its probably dripping at 1 drip per 8 mins. this is rather slow but its just bothering me.

Do i need to replace my water supply valves? would they cause water to still drip even if main water supply was cut off? does it have to do with coming from the hot water tank?

Sorry if long winded. I am a home repair newb and suck pretty bad at it. any help will be greatly apprieciated

Last edited by straightsix; 11-05-2012 at 07:26 PM.
straightsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 07:33 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 190

Did you also replace the supply lines? The likely cause of the new drip is debris in the lines getting stuck in the valve.

Try moving the lever around while it's running.

sgip2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sgip2000 For This Useful Post:
straightsix (11-05-2012)
Old 11-05-2012, 07:56 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgip2000 View Post
Did you also replace the supply lines? The likely cause of the new drip is debris in the lines getting stuck in the valve.

Try moving the lever around while it's running.

the supply lines were replaced as the new faucet's lines connected directly to the supply pipes.

i think i need to replace the valves cus even with them totally turned off water still was coming out. even during the new install. when i went to connect the new hot water supply hose, water was continusly coming out. would that make the faucet drip? i thought cutting the main water supply would stop it but it didn't. stopped all water everywhere else though.
straightsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:27 PM   #4
Water Treatment

Rewards Points: 516

The inside of the faucet could have had some pitting take place over the years if the water's ph is low enough or there was some elect current getting to the plumbing or there where enough different metals in the plumbing.
Most likely the simplest would be to replace the whole faucet assembly.

That or when the new core was put in one or more of the o rings one the out side of the core was torn.
Akpsdvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2012, 08:51 PM   #5
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Did you check the pressure on the house? Excessive pressure can cause faucets to drip a little. (especially hot side, because pressure increases further when the heated water expands)