New To Living On Well, Doing Bath Remodel - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-04-2010, 09:56 PM   #1
Still going...

Rewards Points: 500

New to living on well, doing bath remodel

Hello!

I recently purchased a home on a well. This is a completely new concept to me. This is the current configuration as fas as I know. The well pump is a Aermotor Series T 12gpm at a depth of 40 feet. The copper pipe entering the house is 3/4" and the house is ran in mostly 3/4" copper. The pressurizer tank is a WaterAce RPT 86. The pressure settings are somewhere between 30/50 and 40/60. I have installed a water softener, whole whole pre-filter and the whole house filtration system. I also have already installed Rinnai tankless water heaters so we can draw down the pressure tank and keep taking a hot shower. The future Master Suite remodel we are hoping to do the Kohler DTV II shower. The valve is rated at 21 gpm at 45 psi.

In order to deliver the 21 gpm at 45 psi I will need to replace the well pump. What roughly should be new specs in a theoretical world or which one if you know? I realize I have only 3/4" pipe which has a maximum flow of 15 gpm but will put in water hammer arrestors. Although this is the showers full capacity I doubt my wife and I will use it at full capacity but maybe once or twice a week, unless I have a really bad day. If even then it will be a short duration during the shower. Most of the time we will use a single conventional shower head to take daily showers. EDIT: The DTV II flows water through all the shower heads and body sprays till water reaches pre-set temp so this will happen everyday . The tankless water heaters are in the basement directly below the planned shower.

I have not chosen the body sprays or watertiles (as they call them) yet. This may alter the maximum gpm to a slightly lower number. I also need to know what size drain you should use to handle 21 gpm flow?

I have plenty of time to gather different configuration ideas,as I am working on the kitchen right now. To save expense keeping what we have as far as pressure tank goes would be preferred. I also would like to install a sprinkler system so having the 25gpm would be good in that regard. The well draw down when it was drilled was 75 gpm in 2003.

1. How long should a well pump run, if its properly sized can it run 30-40 minutes?
  2. What size drain should I tie into the current drain, I'll have to measure current line out, hopefully this doesn't kill the DTV II?
  3. Which pump should I upgrade to?
  4. I don't know what size pipe runs from pump to the entry into the house, should I plan to increase it to 1" or 1-1/4" all the way through the filtration system up to the 3/4 connection on water heaters? Increasing the pipe I may need to hire someone so we are not without water as long as it may take me.
  5. EDIT: Is this going to require pipe increase?
Thanks!

Chris

Advertisement

Last edited by ChrisDIY; 02-04-2010 at 10:08 PM.
ChrisDIY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:27 PM   #2
Still going...

Has anyone replaced their well pump?

Advertisement

Old 02-11-2010, 01:00 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawktah View Post
Has anyone replaced their well pump?
I replace two or three a week in the summer. I am a fair weather girl!!

Your well will not pump more than the well will produce. Try to get a copy of your well log.
user69544 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 01:23 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 270

quote: "In order to deliver the 21 gpm at 45 psi I will need to replace the well pump."

21 gpm is a massive amount of water delivery considering a standard valve is 2.5
rustyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 01:51 PM   #5

http://net.grundfos.com/doc/webnet/s...e_cu301_us.pdf

This is the best system for what the OP wants.

One a standard hook up we use 160 PSI one inch. One inch schedule 80 drop.

On SQE we use two inch drop and waterline.
Old 02-11-2010, 01:54 PM   #6

This is one we installed.

New to living on well, doing bath remodel-8-31-2007-062.jpg

The pressure tank is four gallon. Amazing pressure.
Old 02-11-2010, 02:40 PM   #7
Still going...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustyjames View Post
quote: "In order to deliver the 21 gpm at 45 psi I will need to replace the well pump."

21 gpm is a massive amount of water delivery considering a standard valve is 2.5
I don't understand what you mean? 2.5 what? gpm?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
I replace two or three a week in the summer. I am a fair weather girl!!

Your well will not pump more than the well will produce. Try to get a copy of your well log.
As I had mentioned in OP the well had a draw down of 75 gpm when it was installed. Given normal reductions I am sure it hasn't lost half of its production and that would still be 37.5 gpm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
This is one we installed.

Attachment 17648

The pressure tank is four gallon. Amazing pressure.
I need volume and not pressure.

--Chris

Last edited by ChrisDIY; 02-11-2010 at 02:46 PM.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:29 PM   #8

Quote:

As I had mentioned in OP the well had a draw down of 75 gpm when it was installed. Given normal reductions I am sure it hasn't lost half of its production and that would still be 37.5 gpm.

--Chris
The SQE will give you any GPM you want up to 40.

If you want more, go to a sub drive system.

http://www.constantpressure.com/

I installed one this summer the provides 50 GPM. With no change in pressure.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:31 PM   #9

Quote:

--Chris
You will have to change the drop pipe too.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:20 PM   #10
Civil Engineer

Rewards Points: 2,196

Well yield is not measured in draw down units. Draw down typically is measured in feet, and refers to the drop of the water level in the pipe for a given steady flow of water. For example, my well has a maximum sustained yield of 2.0 gpm, meaning that if I try to draw more than 2.0 gpm, the level in the well will drop until eventually I run the well dry. Most wells in my area are rated for at least 4 gpm, I happen to have a low yield well.''

If you are saying that your well was tested for 75 gpm, then you are all set, however that is an extremely high value for a residential well, and I would check the figure very carefully. 75 gpm is more typical of a commercial production well, not a residential well.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 06:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Holzman View Post
Well yield is not measured in draw down units. Draw down typically is measured in feet, and refers to the drop of the water level in the pipe for a given steady flow of water. For example, my well has a maximum sustained yield of 2.0 gpm, meaning that if I try to draw more than 2.0 gpm, the level in the well will drop until eventually I run the well dry. Most wells in my area are rated for at least 4 gpm, I happen to have a low yield well.''

If you are saying that your well was tested for 75 gpm, then you are all set, however that is an extremely high value for a residential well, and I would check the figure very carefully. 75 gpm is more typical of a commercial production well, not a residential well.
It depends on the area. I have well that produce 25/30 GPM and some 100+. This is blowing the well with a air compressor on the rig. All 5" PVC.

LOL, wrong picture. This is the well being drilled.
Attached Thumbnails
New to living on well, doing bath remodel-pict0109.jpg  

Last edited by user69544; 02-11-2010 at 06:49 PM.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:48 PM   #12

New to living on well, doing bath remodel-pict0124.jpg

This is coming from the well at 70/80 GPM. Average for the area.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:04 PM   #13
Still going...

I'm only going on record from the county. I called the well driller and they don't have records back that far.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:10 PM   #14

Quote:
I'm only going on record from the county. I called the well driller and they don't have records back that far.
Good, the county is the one that counts. If the well produces 75 GPM, your all set. If it is a 5 inch PVC.

Ask the driller if he does SQE, if not ask the county who does.
Old 02-11-2010, 07:19 PM   #15
Still going...

Is the Grundfos a system I can purchase and install myself? Well is only 40 ft. deep. You're absolutely right this system is perfect! Since the house is ran in 3/4" copper need to design system around 15gpm for inside. Will increase pipe outside from pump to sprinkler system and to house to 1-1/4" increase inside through softener, and filtration to 1". If I am reading graph in literature the 15 gpm can produce 20 at full speed at the appropriate head. Since the shower is the only thing that will use water like this in the house going with the 22gpm seems like overkill. I will need to choose shower heads and body sprays not to exceed 18-20 gpm.

Advertisement

Last edited by ChrisDIY; 02-11-2010 at 07:35 PM.