Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-26-2010, 12:02 PM   #1

Share |

New ICe maker line causes ice to taste like rubber

Long story short, I've had my second Polyethelene icemaker line spring a leak and I gave up on that style of line. Had to get a new line and because of the location and placement of the fridge I ruled out copper. Would've been a nightmare to run and attach. So I went looking for something better. Found a braided PVC line at Lowes that I thought would work perfectly. Looked nice and strong and well built. It installed perfectly but now my ice tastes like absolute crap. Even after a month of use. Sort of a rubbery taste to it. My wife refuses to use any of the ice and I need to find an alternative.

When I bought the fridge it came with a 6' PEX line that had pre-formed ends already installed with brass buts already on the line. Looks exactly what I needed but it ended up being too short. I need something at least 10 feet long.

So I just looked online and Oatey's website lists the icemaker hose in 6, 15, and 25 foot sections. I could buy the 15 but the only thing is I can't find a supplier or location to purchase from. My fridge is an LG and came from Home Depot. However, Home Depot doesn't sell the PEX icemaker lines. But their delivery guys carry them on their truck. But I can't get ahold of them.

So I'm asking, aside from copper and Polyethelene what's my best choice? And if indeed it is PEX where can I get it? I'm not trying any more PVC line.
speedster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2010, 03:35 PM   #2
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

I don't understand what would have been so hard about copper. They make flexible copper tubing, and compression fittings. It's not like you would have had to solder anything.....
Old 06-26-2010, 11:47 PM   #3
Do something

Ferguson Plumbing supply, they sell to the public. If no branch is near you, they will ship the line to you.
D'Brie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 06:02 AM   #4

Not trying to get personal but why not copper? it's the best and last line you will ever need.
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 07:57 AM   #5

I've stayed away from the flexible copper tubing because the last time I tried using it I ended up kinking it in two locations and with a built-in fridge and a less than ideal route to my supply line I'd just prefer not to use it.

As far as I know there are no furguson supply's around here but I'll try calling them. THanks for the tip.
speedster1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 08:09 AM   #6

Thanks I understand what your saying. Tip though when using copper it must be 1/4 inch (not to easy to kink) and it must be looped about 10 feet in circles behind fridge so you can roll out the fridge for cleaning and repair.

When I install a water line for a fridge I leave the line coiled just like it came out of the box and make the hook up, just like the slinky toy.

To each their own good luck hope you find a material that satisfies you.
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote