Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-27-2010, 03:33 PM   #1

Share |

New Ice Machine

Hello everyone I am new to this so bear with me.

I bought an ice machine and used a self tapping valve that i jumped off my washer machine, the valve was a t that pierced a 1/2 inch copper line and the business end of the valve was a 1/4 inch for the line to the ice machine which is what the manual called for. Here's the question i have returned that ice machine because it did not make enough ice and currently have a new one in route to me, the new requires a 3/8 inch water line, and i am wondering, if I can convert my 1/4 inch to a 3/8 inch on the business end of the valve so that I can run a new 3/8 line. I am calling it the business end because I dont know the correct name for that.

Jwdawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 04:28 PM   #2

New Ice Machine

Hooked up and seen many residential ice makers ...none with water supply more than 1/4 ". You know when you first start using them it takes a day or two to fill the bin.. very slow.

I would use the 1/4 inch line but I would remove the saddle valve and replace it with a regular 1/2 valve tee'ed off then reduced to 1/4 .

Saddle valves suck and are nothing but trouble.. you might be restricting the flow.

COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 05:30 PM   #3

New Ice Machine

used the saddle valve because i don't know how to sweat. and didn't want to pay a plumber $100 to do it, was very easy and painless + it came with the kit with 1/4 inch line and compression sleeves .... the new ice machine that is coming is a lot bigger and guessing that it just requires more water,I don't really know but the manual on the new unit says it it 3/8.
Jwdawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 06:28 AM   #4

New Ice Machine

OK. The only way to properly change is to remove the 1/4 and replace it with 3/8. You might find a 3/8 saddle at the plumbing supply house or on line I have never used one. If you do find one you might be able to tap into the exact same spot as the 1/4. Maybe you can find compression valves, tees, or use shark bites from the depot. I don't know much about shark bites or larger compression because I don't use them. good luck.
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 11:59 AM   #5

New Ice Machine

We just recently put an ice maker in our newly renovated basement and we are having serious leaking issues. Luckily, we were able to have someone come out and take a look at it and for right now, it is working. We are keeping our fingers crossed.

plumbing

Last edited by jounderw; 09-30-2010 at 04:19 PM.
jounderw is offline   Reply With Quote