Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-25-2012, 12:55 PM   #1

Share |

New Guy Here. Main water line question...

First I would like to welcome myself here... Just signed up. Bought my first house in September so I will be fairly regular on here, etc. Never in any form of construction outside of helping people here n there and making/fixing things, etc. So I will thank everyone that responds first hand because any help is appreciated.

Anyway... My main drain backed up a couple times already from tree roots, typicaly older house(had it snaked, no real concern at the moment, will have to remove tree eventually) however I noticed that after the water dried up the last time I still had a little bit of a puddle by the wall right under where the main water line comes into the house. So I tracked it and its on my side of the shut off valve coming from the threading. It has some goop on it, like a build up so I assume it just was never doped or Teflon prior to them tightening it(whole house was redone in pex).

So here's my question, because it seems to obviously be fairly easy job... Cut the water off at the valve, back it out, put on tape or dope and re thread. But with the elbow flange for the main line and the pex line... I'd have to remove both sides correct? That way, twist the elbow back onto the main line and "re-crimp" the pex line... Would need the tool correct? Also last question is can I drain all the water out of the system by just turning it on in the sink, etc? Thanks again for any answers. Here are some pics.

It leaks on the bottom side of the elbow from the threading...

Freestyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 01:19 PM   #2

Welcome Freestyler
Here's what I'd do: Turn off the water-of course. Then I'd open some cw faucets to remove as much water as possible- you probably won't get all of it. On the left side of your water meter is a short nipple with a union nut. You can loosen that nut and then unscrew the nipple from the 90. clean the threads up, dope and tape them and reassemble. The meter nipple has a rubber gasket in it-kind of like a garden hose- don't loose or damage it.
And use 2 pipe wrenches- one as a back up so you're not torking against the pipe or meter

Old 11-25-2012, 02:32 PM   #3

There was also supposts to be a dielectric nipple used, not just a galvinized nipple. The brass to steel is going to cause the steel nipple to corrode.
http://www.amazon.com/Camco-10623-Di.../dp/B0006JLVEO
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:03 PM   #4

Thanks EPlumber... I figured I had the idea right! and @joe... You mean off the elbow onto the brass to the pex line?
Old 11-25-2012, 03:08 PM   #5

Yes, connect two differant metals together and you will have electrosis.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:20 PM   #6

It does not matter if its brass or steel. Brass has been joined to galv. piping for ever and is excepted practice.
Here is an image of a typical water meter coupling. Yours looks a little different. Loosen the union nut from the meter and then back it out of the 90.
Attached Images

Old 11-25-2012, 04:12 PM   #7

If you're going to the trouble of removing the galvanized, might as well replace them with brass fittings.
burnt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 10:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt03 View Post
If you're going to the trouble of removing the galvanized, might as well replace them with brass fittings.
The elbow or the pipe from the meter to the elbow?
Old 11-26-2012, 07:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestyler View Post
The elbow or the pipe from the meter to the elbow?
The pipe from the meter from the elbow should be brass already.... (like the water meter coupling pic that the Eplumber posted). It's possible everything is brass already, sort of looks like everything has been painted? You'll know for sure when you take it apart

burnt03 is offline   Reply With Quote