Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-11-2012, 10:03 AM   #1

Share |

New Garbage Disposal Not Secure

I am replacing my garbage disposal with a new Waste King L-8000. I got everything in fine, but when I turn it on the entire unit rotates a degree or two when it first starts up. Since my sink plumbing is just polypropylene with compression fittings it tends to twist the rest of the plumbing with it (the whole thing pivots on the drain line through the floor, which is directly underneath the disposal.

I suspect the ez-mount just isn't quite tight enough - I can twist the entire thing with my hands without a great deal of force.

Otherwise all seems to be working well (no leaks, etc).

Has anybody seen this issue, and any tips for making the mount fit just a bit tighter? The part that is loose is the bottom part of the mount that attaches to the disposal - the flange in the sink doesn't move at all. Waste King uses an EZ-mount system that is a bit different from the traditional 3-bolt, but the part that is loose isn't too different from a conventional one - two projections go up into a ring which you rotate to move the projections up an inclined plane to a lock position with a slight detent. That compresses the seal with the cushion mount slightly.

I'm tempted to try to put something in the detent to raise its height ever so slightly. Another option would be to apply something to the cushion mount like plumber's putty so that there is more friction between them, though obviously I don't want to break the seal.

rich0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:16 AM   #2

Ok, I decided to take apart the mount, and I observed that the cushion mount slides pretty easily against the flange it is installed around. I tried washing it off until it was squeaky clean, but it still slips a bit. I might need to try to clean both surfaces to increase friction, or I might need to find some kind of friction compound to stick in the there. There is a lip to the flange like with a 3-bolt, but instead of putting a slip ring in, you instead clip this rubber gasket over the lip which is larger than the mounting clip. The problem is that the gasket slides, and of course the whole thing is just a little loose besides (doesn't really take any effort to tighten it in the first place).

Old 11-11-2012, 10:22 AM   #3
DIY staff

Did you put plumbers putty under the rim?

Can you post a link to Waste King? Never installed one of those----
Old 11-11-2012, 10:28 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Did you put plumbers putty under the rim?

Can you post a link to Waste King? Never installed one of those----
I put putty under the flange on the sink side per directions, and that part seems to be solid and seal well.

Waste king is at http://www.waste-king.com/ .

They're apparently well-rated - the mount seems to be the only problem, and I found at least one other review that indicated they could turn it with their hand. Perhaps if the pipe ran into the wall instead of the floor underneath the pipe would support it more. I might be able to do something to secure the pipes at least, but I'd think that every time I turned it on it would be like giving the plastic disposal output pipe a little whack with a hammer.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:37 AM   #5
DIY staff

I looked at a video---now I remember that brand-----lousy to install----to bad you didn't get an In-Sink-Orator---

You need to get that big plastic nut real tight---then pray that it stays as you install the unit---

Very poor design----can you return it and get a good one?-
Old 11-11-2012, 10:43 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
I looked at a video---now I remember that brand-----lousy to install----to bad you didn't get an In-Sink-Orator---

You need to get that big plastic nut real tight---then pray that it stays as you install the unit---

Very poor design----can you return it and get a good one?-
Not without spending a small fortune on something comparable.

The plastic nut wasn't any trouble at all for me - I just tightened it up, and the putty was extruded from the flange which seems to have made a good seal.

That part of the whole thing seems fine.

The issue is the mount that actually locks the disposal onto the flange. It is just a bit too loose. I suspect a quality control issue, because looking online some people complain that it is too hard to tighten and that it requires soap, while for me it is very easy to twist on and off. Must have loose tolerances for the metal ring, or the piece of rubber above it, or the projections on the disposal itself.
Old 11-11-2012, 10:54 AM   #7
DIY staff

So--the sink connection stays tight but the retaining ring allows the motor to spin---us there a rubber mounting surface?

I install a lot of disposers--but insist the customer buy insink-0-rator---I do remember that brand as trouble---but I have only installed one or two---long ago----
Old 11-11-2012, 11:37 AM   #8
DIY Enthusiast

Are you sure your making connection at all points before twisting.getting 2 out of 3 hooked could cause this problem.also,the rubber seal that gos on top of GD and the bottom of sink drain, is it new or are you reusing the old one?

Last edited by sublime2; 11-11-2012 at 11:45 AM.
sublime2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sublime2 For This Useful Post:
bob22 (11-11-2012)
Old 11-11-2012, 11:44 AM   #9
DIY Enthusiast

Double post
sublime2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 01:03 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sublime2 View Post
Are you sure your making connection at all points before twisting.getting 2 out of 3 hooked could cause this problem.also,the rubber seal that gos on top of GD and the bottom of sink drain, is it new or are you reusing the old one?
There are only two points of connection - both are engaged. Everything but the sink itself and some of the plumbing is new.

I ended up cutting a thin rubber gasket and placing it between the mounting bracket and the rubber seal. That definitely firmed things up - I had to use a screwdriver to tighten the bracket, which is what the instructions generally call for.

It still was a little loose, but the amount of movement was much lower. Between that and adjusting things so that the pipes are against a piece of the cabinet I think I'll be fine. But, I'll definitely keep my eye on it.

If it still seems to be a problem I'll try their "help number" - they have lifetime warranty with in-home repair for any kind of manufacturing defect.

Thanks for the tips though. The unit itself was apparently rated top in 2009 Consumers, but it seems like the mounting has some tolerance issues.

Thinking about it before using a gasket I'd probably try plumber's putty in the same spot - it would hopefully create a little more friction.