Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-07-2010, 10:24 AM   #1
Home Slave

Share |

New faucet: Low pressure and losing pressure

Just installed a new faucet yesterday. It's a Price Pfister Trivio series 26 4 piece (sprayer, faucet, handle valve, soap disp). I have everything installed correctly, but I have very little water pressure. Hot or cold, the stream of water is weak and about the diameter of a pencil and isn't being aerated. Warm has a bit more pressure, just enough to aerate the water stream a bit, but still fairly weak. Every once in a while, the pressure will suddenly raise enough so the hot or cold only stream is somewhat decent, but just as quickly as it had come, it dies off again.

From the copper pipes from the house, I installed a pair of BrassCraft straight 1/2" to 3/8" Push connect (sharkbite style) valves, and a pair of braided hoses that connect to the hose connections that go into the faucet valve.

When I looked at the BrassCraft valves at the store, it seemed that the ball valve inside had a very small diameter hole that would impede water flow, but the guy at HD said that it was just a bit of grease that I was seeing and that it would be fine. If it were that the valve was too restrictive, would the pressure vary like this? I would think that it would remain constant...

Is it possible that maybe there is something within the water lines that is clogging the water intermittently? Like a foreign object, or some plastic flashing within the T-fitting that could be blocking flow?

Lazy_Jake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 11:16 AM   #2
the Musigician

did you unscrew the aerator at the end of the faucet and check for debris there?

DM

Old 02-07-2010, 12:04 PM   #3
Home Slave

Yes I did. Actually it states in the instructions to run for a minute with the aerator off for new installations.

With that said, I did end up finding the problem and it works perfectly now. The problem was that some insects had crawled inside of the faucet valve or one of my hoses and had died. That was the clog. This is how I flushed the system:

I turned off the cold line valve and unscrewed the braided hose that connected to it leaving it hanging from the faucet valve above. With the hot line still open I had my wife turn on the faucet valve wide open switching between the hot and cold side. This caused the hot water pressure to flow back down the cold water hose as I poured the water in a pot. The pressure was still very low so I re-connected the hose and repeated the same process on the other side and with some spitting and spattering, the debris that was clogging the faucet valve was pushed out of the hot side line by the cold water flowing in reverse direction through that line and now I have perfectly running high pressure water coming out of my faucet.
Lazy_Jake is offline   Reply With Quote