Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-25-2008, 10:48 AM   #1

Share |

New drain connection dilema

hello, I'm having trouble figuring out what to do with this new drain I am adding in through the kitchen into basement. the nearest horizontal copper drain is about 7 wooden beams (floor joists) away perpendicular to the pvc line I want to y in. If I intend on using the copper drain mentioned, can I or should I : 1. run the pvc down then across the seven beams and back up 5-6inches in order to Y in the PVC to the copper drain wich is up in between the beam not low beneath it.? I 'm not sure that this would flow or drain properly. Option 2 should I use a right angle drill and cut 7 2inch diameter holes across and joint seven connections across since a 5 or six foot PVC pipe will not easily go through the holes? Will this affect the support beams (floor joists) or structure of the house? will this be a mojor problem when i eventually sell?
Only other option is to Run the PVC with the Floor joists to the nearest wall that has a main waist stack and cross section it below all of the other connections this seems a little extreme, but is this a safer and or better option without affecting the other connections above it?
pF45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 11:05 AM   #2
Licensed Master Plumber

You should definitely NOT run the new drain down and then back up. That is against every plumbing code known to man and will not work. As for drilling the line in, that depends on the size of the joists, the length and where in the span the holes will be located. If you aren't sure about this it would probably be best to run parallel with the joists and connect to the stack. Remember, PVC should be supported at 4' intervals.

If you are concerned about the other connections in the stack, which is likely cast iron and heavy, get some band iron (metal strapping with holes in it) and support the rest of the fittings before you cut the stack.

Check out my goofy video for my new
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mstplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 11:13 AM   #3

I figured so.....thanks a million appreciate the advice
pF45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 11:17 AM   #4
Licensed Master Plumber

you are welcome.

Check out my goofy video for my new
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mstplumber is offline   Reply With Quote