Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-20-2011, 11:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

New DIYer - bathroom sink plumbing help

Hey all, posting this on behalf of a friend who im trying to help with a DIY of their bathroom sink.
I need some advice/guidance on bathroom sink plumbing issue. Noticed a leak, and on further investigation, it seems that somehow the piping has popped out or for what I believe to be the pipes that lead the water back out of the sink.
I've attached/linkd some pictures. I think i have a general idea of what to do, but if someone might point me in the right direction (especially in terms of the materials/names of piping we need to get this fixed) or point me to another resource would be great. Would like to DIY this if possible to learn about plumbing (which is a handy skill) and save some money.

AdeAhmed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 12:02 AM   #2

on further research, it seems the part of the piping Iam having trouble with is called the tail piece extension.

Do I need a new extension pipe, or something to make the seal?

Please advise.

Old 09-21-2011, 06:30 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 2,000

You can get tailpiece extensions of various lebgths at any home or hardware store. You may have to trim for proper fit. The threaded part screws into the bottom of the stopper housing.

I am assuming that the old pipe did not break at the threads and the threads are stuck in the bottom of the stopper housing.
Just Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 09:10 AM   #4
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Yep, the threads are going to be still stuck in there. You'll have to get them out to reuse the popup assembly.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
You can get tailpiece extensions of various lebgths at any home or hardware store. You may have to trim for proper fit. The threaded part screws into the bottom of the stopper housing.

I am assuming that the old pipe did not break at the threads and the threads are stuck in the bottom of the stopper housing.
Thanks for responding Bill!

Some follow up questions:

1. Do tailpiece extensions have a standard width/diameter, so that all I need to worry about is how long it is?

2. How would I trim a tailpiece extension? I was searching and saw flexible extension http://www.homedepot.com/buy/plumbin...on-197331.html ....does this kind of product make sense?

3. As I mentioned, complete n00b...what other tools/supplies do I need to make the replacement? (ie a certain kind of wrench, putty, tape etc?)

THanks for your assistance. This is our first time tackling a DIY...hopefullly (or not haha) the first of many.
Old 09-21-2011, 09:17 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Yep, the threads are going to be still stuck in there. You'll have to get them out to reuse the popup assembly.
Suggestions as to how I can get the threads out?
Old 09-21-2011, 01:26 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 526

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdeAhmed View Post
Suggestions as to how I can get the threads out?
I would just buy a new drain assembly and ABS pipes up to the wall connection. Remove everything up to the wall and bring the parts with you to the store.

I wouldn't use the solvent weld method of joining the ABS pipes but would use the compression nut type of piping for easy dis-assembly later. ABS pipes are easier to cut, easier to work with and last forever compared to metal pipes.

HRG
Homerepairguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2011, 09:18 PM   #8
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdeAhmed View Post
Thanks for responding Bill!

Some follow up questions:

1. Do tailpiece extensions have a standard width/diameter, so that all I need to worry about is how long it is?

2. How would I trim a tailpiece extension? I was searching and saw flexible extension http://www.homedepot.com/buy/plumbin...on-197331.html ....does this kind of product make sense?

3. As I mentioned, complete n00b...what other tools/supplies do I need to make the replacement? (ie a certain kind of wrench, putty, tape etc?)

THanks for your assistance. This is our first time tackling a DIY...hopefullly (or not haha) the first of many.
They are either 1-1/4" or 1-1/2" I'm guessing (good guesser) yours is 1-1/4.

The tailpiece you need to replace is made of brass, not plastic, and you should be able to cut it with a hacksaw. File off the burr where you cut when done.

Should teflon tape the threads on the tailpiece before re-installing it. You should be able to put it on just by hand and not have any leaks. The p-trap nuts, etc should go back on by hand as well.

As far as getting the old piece out. . . any way you can without damaging the female side of the threads.