Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-05-2012, 04:23 PM   #1
Bruce

Rewards Points: 10

New Dishwasher in Kitchen remodel

We are replacing our cabinets and getting new appliances. I'm starting to plan what I need to do for installation, and have some questions on the dishwasher. Attached is the new layout.

Previously, we have had to use a portable dishwasher, so this will be the first installed dishwasher in this house. The dishwasher location is really the only place it could go, but it's fairly far away from the sink (The drain line will need to be at least 12'). The Bosch DW that we purchased (http://www.bosch-home.com/us/SHX55RL5UC.html?a=b) has and extension kit for the drain, so I know I can get a long enough drain hose, but what I don't know is how to run it. You can see in the picture that I've drawn two alternate routes (if someone has a better idea, I'm all ears!) - one runs under the cabinets, and the other at the back of the cabinets. Obviously, running it under the cabinets has the benefit of being a shorter run, but I wouldn't be able to get the proper rise until entering the sink base.
If I run through the back of the cabinets, I could go high immediately and then gradually decrease the slope around the cabinets. My wife isn't thrilled about having the drain hose in the back of the cabinets, and I'm not sure whether I'll be interferring with anything in the cabinets themselves (cabinets haven't arrived yet). So, this isn't a very appealing option.

Also, given the distance, what's the best way to run the supply line? I'll have to re-plumb (CPVC) for the fridge supply, so I suppose I could run a separate line back to the dishwasher, as well. Just not sure what the right method, or even type of supply line to use if I run from under the sink over to the dishwasher.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
New Dishwasher in Kitchen remodel-rough-layout2.jpg  

abjkkc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:41 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,194

If it were mine I'd run it high at the back for the added anti siphon benefits.

Fairview is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:14 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 250

Bruce-

I don't think running a drain line behind the cabinet is a good idea.

Let's say there is a clog or leak in the drain pipe and you need to replace it. With that 90 degree turn, it will be fairly difficult to remove the pipe and you will not be able to reinstall it again.

Maybe consider surface mounting it inside the cabinet?

Just my 2 cents...

PS. did you measure the total distance? Bosch SGZ1010US extension kit says the maximum length is 6 ft. 3/4 in.

Last edited by allthumbsdiy; 10-05-2012 at 08:17 PM.
allthumbsdiy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 08:20 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,218

Inside the cabinet for me too. Use pex to supply water from the sink base.
I don't think the drawers are full depth either so you have a little room to work with. Keep the lines high and back
Old 10-08-2012, 09:36 AM   #5
Bruce

Thanks for the replies.

Allthumbsdiy: SOrry, I didn't think I was being very clear in my original post, but in the one option that I was refering to, I wasn't intending to run behind the cabinets, but rather around the back.

I thought the extension hose would get me "another" 6 feet, not a total of six feet.
I just submitted a question to Bosch support. We'll see what they say.

What would you guys do about running the supply line? (Which route?)
Old 10-08-2012, 09:43 AM   #6
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Run the supply line from under the sink around the back of the cabinets and follow the drain. I'd use soft copper, as a flexible braided stainless wont reach in your situation.
Old 10-31-2012, 04:30 PM   #7
Bruce

What do you guys think of installing something like this in the wall behind the dishwasher? Then I could avoid running the supply line from the sink supply altogether.

http://www.siouxchief.com/Access/Out.../Ox-Box8.PD94C
Attached Images

Last edited by abjkkc; 10-31-2012 at 04:32 PM.