DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

New dishwasher install -- plumbing help

5K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Keith425 
#1 ·
I'm in the process of installing a dishwasher in my kitchen, which is currently dishwasher-less. I have a dedicated circuit run under kitchen sink, the cabinet where I want to do the install is ready to be pulled, and I called our city inspector to verify that it is OK to use a high loop.

The garbage disposal that we have is about 25+ years old and does not have a dishwasher inlet. Installing the appropriate PVC pipe with dishwasher drain adapter seems easy enough on the drain pipe to the left (see picture below):

I'm at a loss when it comes to determining the best way to "split" the hot water pipe that currently feeds the Delta fixture. The hot water pipe is currently attached to the fixture with a 6" piece of silver-colored pipe. Both the fixture and supply line are copper and the silver-colored pipe appears to be attached with brass or copper nuts.

Just from looking at the plumbing parts at Home Depot, it is apparent that there are many different ways to do this but there are also numerous sizes of pipes and threads and am debating whether it is just worth getting a plumber to make the connections. Does anyone have any advice?

I don't currently own any soldering equipment, so compression fixtures would be the best but I'd be willing to learn how to sweat pipe if that's what works best.

The below photo shows the hot water pipe, the silver-colored connector, and the pipe that leads to the fixture on the left.

More pictures are available here:

http://s376.photobucket.com/albums/oo210/KB01/

Thank you so much! Living without a dishwasher has been fine when it was just my wife and myself but having a 2 month old baby is making dishes a daunting task when we get no sleep.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
I'd cut off that male threaded adapter on your copper pipe, and sweat a stop valve. 3-way stop valves are built for this purpose. It has one inlet and 2 outlets. One side would feed the hot side of the sink faucet, the other would feed the new dishwasher, and both could be fed with braided stainless steel hoses. That silver tubing looks to be held on with compression fittings.

If you're not comfortable soldering, you could probably find a push-on type (eg. sharkbite) or a compression type.

Check out this article:
http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/skill-builder/0,,20093783,00.html#

#3 ·
Just from looking at the plumbing parts at Home Depot, it is apparent that there are many different ways to do this but there are also numerous sizes of pipes and threads and am debating whether it is just worth getting a plumber to make the connections.
I've been doing my own plumbing for over two years after I discovered "push on" fittings. I got tired of paying a plumber $45/hour and I don't have the tools or skill to sweat pipes together. Take a look at my blog under Product Reviews for my experience with them. They are a little pricey, but I save so much time that its worth it to me. Most plumbing supply houses (and HD) sell the SharkBite brand. Lowe's has a similar product with a slightly different name. You might want to consider a stop valve on the supply line feeding the dishwasher. With this extra valve, if the dishwasher leaks, you still have hot water flowing to the sink. With a new baby, this might come in handy. Hope this helps...:wink:

#4 ·
I agree about the fittings. I can sweat pipe no problem. But sometimes if I want a job to go really quick or just get lazy, Home Depot sells fittings called Shark Bite. they just push onto the pipe and your done. If I were you I'd cut the copper pipe. press on a tee fitting, put the two copper pies in the ends of the tee. Get a small piece of pipe 4-6 inches. Buy a compression fitting inline valve. Attach the valve to the pipe then insert pipe into open part of tee. this way you have separate shutoffs for dishwasher and sink. just make sure the valve you get is 1/2 inch compression on one side and the other side is for what you are using. (metal tubing or plastic) Onlt tools needed are wrenches to tight the compreesion fitting and a pipe cutter for the copper

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.