New Dbl. Sink / DW / Disposal Installation - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-03-2008, 06:14 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

New Dbl. Sink / DW / Disposal Installation

I completely gutted my kitchen and am putting in a new double sink, disposal and dishwasher. Can I run the D/W waste line into the disposal and the disposal out the waste pipe tied into both sinks without the use of an "air dam"?

You all have been really helpful in the past and could use some help again!

Kudos to all that help us "newbies"

Mary

Advertisement

mehaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 06:45 PM   #2
Long-Time DIYer

Rewards Points: 500

An "air gap" may be required by code in your local jurisdiction, so you need to check with your Building Inspection Department regarding that.
If an an air gap is not required, you can loop the dw drain hose over the dw, connect it to the disposal (don't forget to knock out the disposal "knock-out plug" with a screwdriver and hammer), and then drain the disposal through the trap to the drain pipe.
It will work either way, but it is safer to have an air gap to prevent dirty dw drain water from flowing back into the dw in case of a clog.
Good Luck!
Mike

Advertisement

Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2008, 07:04 PM   #3

Thanks!!!
Old 08-05-2008, 09:28 AM   #4
Licensed Master Plumber

Rewards Points: 150

As an alternate, to minimize noise and the possibility of disposal waste entering the DW drain line, you can use a "Wye tailpiece" under the other side of the sink to connect the DW drain. These are readily available at Home Depot or Lowe's.

Check out my goofy video for my new toilet repair book.
mstplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 09:43 AM   #5

That is EXACTLY what I did in my own home - I did not hook it in to the disposal at all - I brought the D/W waste tube up and around and back down to the waste pipe off the sink on the other side. I figured bringing the waste tube in an upward position and then back down would serve as a de factor air dam.

However, this is a property that I am flipping and don't want any issues with a home inspector.

So - it is OK to do that??
Thanks,
Mary
Old 08-05-2008, 10:02 AM   #6
Licensed Master Plumber

Rewards Points: 150

It really depends on your local jurisdiction. Here in Atlanta an air gap is not required. If you want to "arm yourself" against a home inspector, so to speak, call your local government Building Inspection department and ask them what code they enforce. I have found that some private home inspectors will cite code violations from an incorrect code. This is not to say that they aren't competent, just that the issue is sometimes confusing.

For example, in Georgia some phases of residential construction is governed by the International Residential Code (IRC), which has a section addressing plumbing. Georgia Plumbing installations, however, are governed b y the International Plumbing Code (IPC). I just mention this to show how confusing it can be.

If I were in your situation, I would loop the drain to the top of the cabinet, use the "y" tailpiece and forget it. If a home inspector flags it you can change it then.

You might want to check out some recently finished homes in the area and see how the plumber did it. If they are past the inspection process the plumbing has been approved.

Check out my goofy video for my new toilet repair book.

Last edited by mstplumber; 08-05-2008 at 10:04 AM. Reason: oops.
mstplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2008, 11:05 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,000

I'm finding that more and more dishwashers have an itegral air gap, thereby making a drain loop/gap redundant. You might check your manufacturer's installation instructions and keep them handy for the inspector to look at if that's the case.

Advertisement

Termite is offline   Reply With Quote