Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-06-2008, 10:12 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

New construction, toilet flushes strange.

The toilet in my house on the second floor flushes strange. It's a new construction house so the toilet is brand new. When I trip the lever, the water seems to go into the bowl slow, like things are happening in slow motion.

When it flushes, the bowl fills and the water level rises a little as normal, then the water in the bowl goes down for just a split second and then comes back up quickly. Therefore, whatever contents (i.e. toilet paper) that doesn't catch the jet of water from the siphon jet remains in the bowl.

The toilet is a 1.6 gal. American Standard elongated bowl with ball and flapper. I've plunged the toliet, adjusted the water level in the tank, checked the holes in the rim to no avail. Does the way the sewer pipe is routed have any effect? I think it goes down from the wax ring about 5 inches and then makes a 90 degree elbow turn to a horizontal pipe.

I have the same model toilet in two other bathrooms in the house and they flush good. Anyone know what's going on? Thanks.

premipet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 10:56 PM   #2
Journeyman Plumber

How old is this house? Less then a year, call the contractor back to fix it, it's under a warranty.

2008 Oregon Specialty Plumbing Codes
Ron The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 11:50 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron The Plumber View Post
How old is this house? Less then a year, call the contractor back to fix it, it's under a warranty.
The house is 2 yrs old. I brought the issue up with them before and they said that there is nothing wrong as it does flush, so they refused to do anything about it. I believe I'm out of warranty as of now.
premipet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008, 05:30 AM   #4
Master Plumber

Sounds like something is blocking the flow and you need to auger the toilet
jpplumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 12:05 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 16

Is the water from the tank entering the bowl at the proper speed? Is the proper quantity of water flushing before the flapper goes back down? Is the time for the flapper to go back down comparable to that on other toilets in the house?

Check the water level in the tank immediately after the flush, and compare that with other toilets (if they are all of the same model).

Try pouring an equivalent quantity of water from a bucket into the toilet bowl. Try different speeds of pouring. Does the toilet flush properly?

UNfortunately I don't have any ideas yet on identifying or repairing obstructions in the little passageways inside the bowl rim where the tank water flows down into the bowl.

Last edited by AllanJ; 02-08-2008 at 12:10 PM.
AllanJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 06:26 PM   #6

Its surprising how sewer outlets get used for garbage dumps during construction,,,lets just call it accidental. Other possible deal is the stack vented thru the roof?? The downstairs may flush cause they are using the second floor stack for air reserve,,,and the upstairs may not. Or it is just a defective stool or debris between the tank and bowl!! Interesting experiment that would require some time and patience,,,IF you exchanged this one for another that worked elsewhere in house and see IF its stool related or stack related
justdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 06:59 PM   #7
35 YEAR MASTER PLUMBER

Go to big box or good hardware , buy 'KORKY"

flapper cut out hole on flapper so ears go on your hooks,
try flushing this way if do'es not work then call plumber or rooter co. out to auger toilet and inspect toilet trap to see if hanging up ? ?
these am/std toilets are good flushers once you change out the flappers they tend to close too fast !

MACPLUMB MASTERPLUMBER & DRAINMAN
P.S. i have one where i live

MACPLUMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 09:30 PM   #8

sounds like its not vented properly

nacko is offline   Reply With Quote