Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-08-2012, 01:03 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

New construction, Soaking Tub

Hi, I need some quick feedback from some plumbers. I am having my house built right now and I do not think that they installed my tub correctly. I was under the impression that the entire tub needs to be sitting in a bed of mortar so that the tub will not flex and crack over time. Also if the tub is flexing, then the seal will never be water tight.

Well when they installed the tubs in my house they only used mortar near the drain and the rest of the tub is wedged in place with a scrap piece of OSB. When I climb in the tub, the bottom gives a little. Leading me to think the problems above will happen. Or am I just being paranoid.

Also with this type of tub, how are they supposed to waterproof the tub surround? At this point in the construction they have already installed the hardyboard, so If I am going to have them rip it out I want to make sure it is done right.

The image below shows the tub, and the blue circle is the only place where the mortar is under the tub. The center of the tub is hanging in mid air. If you look closely you can see the OSB wedged in on the right hand side.

matkyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 01:17 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 514

Get the brand and the model number and look it up online. All manufacturers will have their specs in their web site.

Sorry, but you need to look it up as I don't know the brand etc....

framer52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:21 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 10

So I called the home builder and asked for the name of the manufacturer. Royal Bath. Form their website, the model is most likely the "Livingston". Well I called the manufacturer and asked if they recommended their tubs be installed in a bed of mortar, and they said "Of course!" So I asked them to send me the installation instructions and it reads:"..we recommend the bathtub be installed in a bed of mortar cement to fully support the total weight of the product, water and person."

So I am going to make them do it right, but my question now is how are they going to fix this?
matkyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 02:50 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 514

Quote:
Originally Posted by matkyne View Post
So I called the home builder and asked for the name of the manufacturer. Royal Bath. Form their website, the model is most likely the "Livingston". Well I called the manufacturer and asked if they recommended their tubs be installed in a bed of mortar, and they said "Of course!" So I asked them to send me the installation instructions and it reads:"..we recommend the bathtub be installed in a bed of mortar cement to fully support the total weight of the product, water and person."

So I am going to make them do it right, but my question now is how are they going to fix this?

Pull it out and reinstall.

You could get this from their web site as I am sure there is a pdf on install.

Just looked and there is an install PDF
framer52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 08:00 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 508

wow not only that but that is a deck mount tub designed to set on a tile deck with out a shower if it was for a shower and tub it would have a integral tub flange as in on of these first is a deck mount conversion image which i do not recommend due to relying on sealant and in image they do not show sealant filling radius before board goes on but that void should be fully filled
http://www.tubzlady.com/images/MTI/Tile-Flange-Kit.jpg
and this one is factory flange best for shower tub combo all one piece
http://common1.csnimages.com/lf/49/h...Hand+Drain.jpg
will the tub that is in post 1 work yes. but for how long?
i am willing to start a betting pool $1 buy in with 6 month intervals
jaydevries is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 09:19 PM   #6
Master Plumber

Rewards Points: 566

I would set up a meeting with the contractor the plumber and the tile installer seems like. 1 inexperienced tradeís men or 2 they just donít give a dam. And by the way where is the plumbing inspector.? Do some homework like mentioned above you may want to rethink your setup with that tub.

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net
Javiles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 06:32 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,004

Don't take no for an answer if you have to call in a factory rep to inspect the installation of his Companies product.

He is the guy who will back it up with the warranty if issues pop up later. Remember you have to look at the tub every day the rest of your life the installers do not.

COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mortar bed, tub