New Construction - Plumber's Handbook? - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-10-2014, 04:19 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 36

New Construction - Plumber's Handbook?

First Post!

I've had a local pro build my house to lockup. I've got a clean canvas to learn to plumb.

I'm considering doing the full plumbing rough-in from the ground up. How hard could it be?? hahaha.. (I'm sure I'm going to take a beating for that)

There's 3 kitchens and 4 bathrooms. The services were run to the house and the bottom floor needs to be prepared for plumbing then pouring of the slab.

I've been gathering pdf's, looking at 100's of images and reading your posts. I'd really like to find a good book I could use for reference though.

Have you seen any good material on the net that I might find useful?

Thanks!

Kelley

Advertisement

The_Pinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 05:42 PM   #2
A "Handy Husband"

Rewards Points: 2,374

See my response to your question under "electrical".

If you screw up the layout under a slab, you will really be up the creek.

Advertisement

The Following User Says Thank You to rjniles For This Useful Post:
joecaption (04-10-2014)
Old 04-10-2014, 06:39 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,704

It would help if we knew what state you reside in.
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 06:48 PM   #4
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,616

I did all of my own plumbing for my 2-story addition....click on the link in my signature.

Would I do it again? Hell yea...I actually enjoyed that part....except for re-routing my sewer.....not fun

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 03:37 PM   #5

Sorry Ghostmaker. I'm in Nelson, BC (Canada)

Ddawggie dawg! - Thanks, I needed that. So happy you enjoyed your experience.

I don't expect to get it right the 3rd time... hahaha. I'm going to get it though. I've taught myself how to rebuild Wankel engines, computer networking (I'm now head IT Engineer on 450 million Euro yacht with no schooling). Engines blew up, networks failed... but now I'm a pro. This is PLUMBING.

Nobody (including the inspector) is going to let me pour a slab if my plumbing is wrong.

I'm going to start drawing a sketch and see who laughs and who cries. It would be nice if I had some links to some great posts or resources. Do you have any, Dawg?

Together, we plumb.

I updated my profile with a link to the facebook page Where I've been documenting my build. Have a look if you're curious.

Kelley
Old 04-14-2014, 09:07 PM   #6
Master Plumber

Rewards Points: 718

All depends what type of construction?? for example ill get a set of blueprints and a lot with 4 spikes in the ground bordered off with twyn,no walls no blocks no footing etc, now i have to figure where my toilet goes stacks inside a partition and so on. you'll need to of course read blue print read plumbing isometrics and know your fittings and codes, if you cant do it like its in the blue prints how can you do it as per code, be good with measurements at a scale, forget about books, be ready for failed inspections and have a chipping hammer ready. can you do it yourself how long will it take and will it be cost effective ???

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net
Javiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 07:26 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 1,044

SO, you want the Plumbing inspector to actually tell you how to do your plumbing? That's what it sounds like. I am sure you are a very talented hands on kind of guy as quite a few of the posters on here. However as with anything you have to know when to hold them and when to fold them.
I don't like to pay for anything and usually try everything however when my roof needed replacement I had to Pay the piper which is the first thing I paid for in about forty years and it killed me to lay out the cash because I knew what the material cost. I find most things can be repaired or installed somewhat easy when someone troubleshoots for you or shows you how to do it. But you'll never know all the tricks the mechanic learns along the way and the tricks are what usually makes a job a good job. I wish you good luck.
Javiles (04-15-2014)
Old 04-15-2014, 09:27 AM   #8

Hi Coldiron,

I hope by the time the inspector is called my plumber pals will have already saved me from making some bad (expensive) decisions.

I've had months to look over the blueprints and took tonnes of photos and video to chew on while I'm here at work overseas. I asked about books and references only because I can't physically be there for another couple weeks and wanted to learn something before I get there.

I literally can't wait to buy the beer and start planning it all out with them.

I wonder what the most common thing people always wish they'd thought of after designing a system?

Sorry to hear about your roof, dude.

Last edited by The_Pinner; 04-15-2014 at 11:16 AM.
Old 04-15-2014, 10:55 AM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,044

Oh, didn't know you had plumber pals all coming over and working together and having a few cold ones and food together. That sounds like a nice Plumbing party. I like that kind of stuff when a bunch of buddies get together and one or two of them know what their doing and the rest just follow direction you can get a lot done as long as you stay away from the cooler till after lunch. Good luck.
Old 04-15-2014, 11:57 AM   #10

Rewards Points: 1,662

Pex supply lines go under the slab sleeved in the least expensive poly you can find. If you don't know where each of the lines are to protrude from the concrete, ice maker included, you aren't ready to begin construction. Plumbing can be made easy with careful planning. If in 40 years a re-plumb is in order that can be a snap too.

Advertisement

SeniorSitizen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SeniorSitizen For This Useful Post:
The_Pinner (04-15-2014)