Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-05-2012, 10:26 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10
Question

New construction outside kitchen cleanout blocked off?

I am brand new to the forum and I really look forward to any help you guys can give me. The house I am referring to in this post was built in 2006 and is part of a development built by Lennar homes. (There is a class action lawsuit against them due to "shoddy construction" as we speak, but that is beside the point [or maybe exactly the point...you be the judge!])

I am installing a full home water filtration unit that is backwashing and needs a drain. On the outside of my home I found a great spot for it right next to the kitchen cleanout. I had a heck of a time getting the cleanout plug out and the following pictures may explain why. Does anyone know why the builder would do this? I want to use the drain, but I have no idea what my next step should be.

This is the cap of the clean out that popped off attached to the coupler to the pipe. The next picture shows the glue that is holding the cap to the coupler.

Once I got the cap off I was surprised to see that the hole is blocked. It is almost like some type of hardened epoxy, but it is perfectly flat. When I tap on it with a nail, it sounds like hardened expoxy as well. (very "plasticky") I have no idea what it is, or what is on the other side of this plug. Does anyone have any idea, or have you ever seen this before? I am wondering if the plumber who did the house took a shortcut and this is not a real cleanout. It would make sense for there to be a cleanout in this location because the kitchen sink is right through the wall, so I don't know what to think.

Thank you guys again for any insight you can give me!

***UPDATE***
From another forum I learned that this plastic "cap" is a knockout plug that is used to test the vent pipes to ensure they are not leaking. I simply drilled a hole in it, inserted a wire to prevent it from falling into the pipe and knocked it out with a chisel and hammer. That easy.

Last edited by markbair; 08-06-2012 at 09:49 PM. Reason: Update
markbair is offline   Reply With Quote