Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-14-2013, 12:38 PM   #1

Share |

New bathroom soil pipe connection - External OK?

I am building a new bathroom on the second floor of my house. It is almost directly over the first floor bathroom. The house is slab on grade. The second bathroom is directly over a laundry room where the well pressure tank is located. There is a hole in the slab for the pipes from the well to enter the house and connect to the well tank. My plan is to bring the soil pipe from the second floor down through the laundry room and down and out of the house via the existing hole in the slab, at 18-24" below grade. It would then turn parallel to the house and run about 6', where it would intersect the existing soil pipe connector from the first floor bathroom to the septic tank/field. I prefer this plan to demolishing a perfectly good tile floor and concrete slab within the first floor bathroom, to try to connect to that toilet drain indoors. Are there any flaws in the theory of the external connection to the septic tank connector? I am in Connecticut, so I know I will need to be down below grade a code-required distance, as the existing connector "should" be (current depth unknown, but no freezing or backups have occurred in the 5 years we have had the house and it was a new system installed just before we bought it.) Any advice or feedback would be very much appreciated. I so don't want to have to touch anything inside the existing bathroom. Thanks!

tpagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:47 PM   #2
Roofmaster

If the existing run has not frozen, why would the new one at the same depth? Its not like water sits in the line on a waste line, assuming proper slope.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 02:54 PM   #3

My thought exactly. The external connection, at proper depth, should not be a problem, right?
tpagel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 05:00 PM   #4
Roofmaster

No. The Anaerobic bacteria working tirelessly on your behalf create heat which travels back up the waste line and out the vent. I dont think you have anything to worry about, especially if you have never had a problem with your main waste line. You could throw some EXPS (Blue or Pink) over the pipe if you are worried about penetrating surface frost.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jagans For This Useful Post:
Javiles (01-14-2013)