Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-06-2013, 10:11 PM   #1

Share |

New bathroom - plumber didn't include venting?

I paid a "professional" plumber to put in the drain system for my new bathroom that will be in the shed I'm building. I asked about a vent at the time and he said because it was just a small bathroom that I could use a "faux" vent once we put all the fixtures in after the shed was built. I didn't think much of it at the time because I trusted him unfortunately. Now that I'm ready to move forward with this project (a year later) I thought I'd research a little to make sure all is well before I put the floor in the shed. After a day of reading I've realized that there should definitely be a proper vent line and I'm angry that this wasn't done. At this point, I'm going to do it myself since paying a plumber is not what I'm feeling after the last one.

Any suggestions to where I should put the vent based on the pics? The toilet is tied directly to the main sewer line (partially uncovered toward the outside wall in first pic) and the other 3 drains connect under the toilet (in second pic). Is this easily fixable? Can I add vent without redoing the entire thing?

Thanks for your time

Last edited by Shangri-La; 08-08-2013 at 07:59 PM.
Shangri-La is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 10:25 PM   #2

May I ask what stat you're in? what you have is not good plumbing in my neck of the woods. Looks like the way plumbers plumbed back in '42

In the 2nd picture- what does the pipe in the left fore ground serve?

Old 08-06-2013, 10:32 PM   #3

Thanks for your quick response... I'm in Canada actually... and the guy was an older guy so that sounds about right.

The far pipe will be for washing machine. I know there are A LOT of issues with this project but right now I'm focusing on this plumbing issue... I can only stress about one thing at a time... LOL

Any advice about venting?
Old 08-06-2013, 10:45 PM   #4

If I was going to finish that plumbing, I'd be repiping a fair portion of it.
But that is because of the UPC code I know and use. There are a few plumbing codes floating around, so obviously opinions differ on what will work.

My biggest concern is how the toilet is vented and how the pipes connect below the flange. Let's wait and see if our Canadian plumber member drops by.

Ghostmaker will have some advice as well.
But I know you will need to do some venting in the walls, attic and through the roof to make a good system.
Old 08-06-2013, 10:51 PM   #5

You said you were concerned about the way the toilet was vented... but I don't see any venting... am I missing something?
Old 08-06-2013, 11:15 PM   #6

Remember, I'm only familiar with the Uniform Plumbing Code, so that's how I'll address your plumbing, what code you use- I have no idea.

A toilet needs a 2" vent- this can be accomplished with a wet vent.
In your case this would be the washer, yet a washer is not allowed on a wet vent- too many drainage fixture units so it would block the venting action of the toilet line. Only fixtures such as your lav- which appears to be 1.5" pipe (too small)
We must assume that the washer is running while your flushing the toilet

I am at a loss as to tell you what to do. Well, not really, but you don't need to plumb under my code if you don't have too. You said you hired a plumber to do the work. But what he has is not what I see done in new work. Consider paying another local plumber to consult with.
What you have will probably work with proper above floor venting completed....
Old 08-07-2013, 01:38 PM   #7

Thanks for the replies... I found a local plumber who will do it to code. Thanks

Last edited by Shangri-La; 08-07-2013 at 03:20 PM.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:22 PM   #8
DIY staff

What is the state of the construction right now?

Are the floors in? You refer to this as a 'shed'--is this a small seasonal use cottage?

Could a vent pipe be run up the outside of the structure and then boxed in like a chimney?

Just asking a few questions----you will get good answers from the plumbers here---I'm just trying to determine the simplest route for a vent--
Old 08-07-2013, 03:34 PM   #9

Mike, that sounds like what I was hoping. The state of construction is exactly the same as the picture. I was hoping to add a vent line on the 2" pipe up the side of the building. Do you have any pictures of what you're referring to, to give me a better visual?

Thanks!
Old 08-07-2013, 04:00 PM   #10
DIY staff

If the structure is still open---making the corrections will be simple enough---

Which direction does the main drain go as it exits the building?

E-plumber will offer you a simple layout that will work without issue---

One concern he mentioned also bothers me--that is the double T- that enters the toilet stack--that is bad plumbing---those two side pipes should have their own sanitary T entering the main drain after the elbow for the toilet.

Let's wait for the E-plumber or one of the other plumbers to get off of work----

I understand this is not an inspected job--but building to your local code always makes sense---what state or Provence do you live in?
Old 08-07-2013, 05:46 PM   #11

I can't help you I have no knowledge of Canadian code. Perhaps you should obtain a permit and have your inspector tell you how to do the job in a proper manner?
Ghostmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ghostmaker For This Useful Post:
Shangri-La (08-08-2013)
Old 08-07-2013, 06:12 PM   #12

Here is what I would have to do per my code.

The lav vent would remain 2" through the roof( its a wet vent for the toilet).
The 1.5" shower vent and the 1.5" washer vent can be combined in the ceiling and exit the roof or tie into the 2" lav vent also so you only have one penetration.
Attached Images

oh'mike (08-07-2013), Shangri-La (08-08-2013)
Old 08-08-2013, 07:47 PM   #13

Thanks Ghostmaker. That's actually what I've opted to do. I hired a plumber to do it all to code. Much easier, no stress. Thanks for everyone's input. I appreciate it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Shangri-La For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (08-08-2013)

Tags
plumbing, vent