Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-23-2011, 09:39 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

New bathroom - help! complete nube doing complete basement!

Hello Everybody, im new here and was wondering if you guys can answer a few questions for me. I purchased a new home, with the basement unfinished, and im looking to finish it myself. I have zero experience, but Im good at following directions. I've done all the framing myself already, hired an electrician to do the electrical, now moving on to the bathroom plumbing. This is what i need help with, and I appologize for stooopid questions lol as i know i have some.

So i framed out the bathroom around the rough plumbing the builder left behind. Im pretty confident i know what most of it is, but not sure of an extra pipe (see pictures) i think this is just an extra vent(?) if so, what to do with it? just leave it as is?, but rather be safe than sorry and ask you guys. also, please see my notes, Im I correct with what im doing?

Thanks, im sure i'll be asking more questions.

muc appreciated!

This is what i have so far.. dont know what to do with the one vent/pipe?

This what i was thinking about doing, just tie it in so that its used:

This is what im after according to my plans, i've been at it one year so far lol, but thats OK, im learning a lot:

Last edited by lcassis; 01-23-2011 at 11:11 AM.
lcassis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:00 AM   #2
Master General ReEngineer

Ayuh,... Unless you can resize these postings, or put links to them, rather than posting them...

Don't expect many answers, as Nobody likes to side-scroll....

Bondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:08 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondo View Post
Ayuh,... Unless you can resize these postings, or put links to them, rather than posting them...

Don't expect many answers, as Nobody likes to side-scroll....

Sorry about that =) I've re-sized the images. Please tell me if this is better for you. Thanks! -Lincoln
Old 01-23-2011, 11:13 AM   #4

When you purchased your new home did you get a set of blueprints? If you did, then it would show you what the rough plumbing pipes are intended for. If in doubt call a plumber and he will set you straight.
Yeah what’s with your posting? Side scrolling is a drag…
epson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 12:50 PM   #5

Hi, thanks for the response. I did receive a set of blueprints, but only for the house, it does not cover the slab-foundation (basement part) which im currently working to refinish.
All of the plumbing you see in the picture is already in place under the slap and runs to the main sewer pump… Im simply not sure why there is so many.

Ironically, I did get a (licensed) plumber to come and take a look, and then a contractor and they both didn’t know why its laid out that way.

Sorry for the scrolling, this should be corrected now.

Thanks,
L
Old 01-23-2011, 12:57 PM   #6

The pipe in your floor is not a vent. It is a drain pipe.

Most likely it was done for a laundry sink? By the looks of your picture the basement door is behind your framed wall with all the pipes and a lot of builders try for a laundry near the back/basement doors. The laundry sink would be on the other side of your bathroom wall in the area towards the door of course.

This looks like the room was designed for all the fixtures to be put along one wall. Sink on the left, toilet then bath/shower. This is the cheapest way to lay out a bathroom.You asked some contractors and they didn't know???

Is there a reason you want to have the sink on the left wall? If so then try to plan the wall studs for the sink vent which would run above the top of the sink and around to where you plan to tie it in. Sometimes this is easiest in the cieling as then you avoid your electrical and water lines.

Last edited by kibblesret; 01-23-2011 at 01:09 PM. Reason: had to look at picture again.
kibblesret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 01:08 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kibblesret View Post
The pipe in your floor is not a vent. It is a drain pipe.

Most likely it was done for a laundry sink? By the looks of your picture the basement door is behind your framed wall with all the pipes and a lot of builders try for a laudry near the back/basement doors.
and this was my thinking as well.. although the framing was not there, i did that part - my thinking was I can put a utility sink or something there behind that wall as well. But mostlikely I will not.

But my question is, if i do not intend on using it at all, do I:

1. simply leave it the way it is like that in the wall? is this safe?
2. tie it in to another drain so that the gases keep moving?

Thanks again,
-L
Old 01-23-2011, 01:17 PM   #8

If you are not going to use it right now then just leave it capped as it is. If it were me I would take it out the finished wall and cap it there though. makes it way easier if you do want to tie into it later.
For that matter I would rough in the water lines for that possible sink as well. Just stub them out the wall. This all would cost about $20 and be just simply a good idea.
kibblesret is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to kibblesret For This Useful Post:
lcassis (01-23-2011)
Old 01-23-2011, 01:26 PM   #9

Thanks kibblesret, I think thats the way im going to go. I just wanted to make sure it was 'safe' to leave it capped.. but now that I think about it, all of those have been 'capped' for 2 years now so I guess its cool.

Thanks again. -L