Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-11-2008, 12:14 PM   #1

Share |

new bathroom in detached barn, help please

i want to install a bathroom in a barn across the driveway from the house.

the septic is probably 20 years old and i have no idea how big it is.

the barn is not at all to code, so i want to keep this under the radar.

i'm wondering what the best way of doing this is.

do i need to excavate a trench to the septic, install the pipes, hook them up to the septic, etc...? i think it will need a pump as it wouldn't be gravity fed.

i'm also considering just doing a composting toilet, but i'll still need a sink and shower. would the gray water need to go to septic, or could it just be leeched?

would a local plumber help me with this, even if there are no permits, and we're not to code?

the bathroom will be on the ground floor. it will be roughly 50-75' from the existing septic.

thanks.

wombosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 03:26 PM   #2

Just because the current barn is not to code doesn't mean you can't pull a permit and do the bathroom job properly. The inspector isn't going to come look at your bathroom job, and tell you the pre-existing barn needs to be rebuilt, just because it doesn't meet current code. Otherwise you're just tossing good money after bad. Might as well start doing things right, instead of just making the bad things worse.

NateHanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 05:08 PM   #3

well, OK.
i guess what i want to avoid is a new septic system, ya know?

but sure, the bathroom will be built to code, just not necessarily the plumbing...
wombosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 12:59 AM   #4
Long-Time DIYer

As a NC real estate broker for more than 21 years and an avid DIYer for more than 50 years, I highly advise anyone against doing anything that isn't to code or done without proper permits.
Try to sell your property with significant code violations. You'll have to have it done right at that time, or discount the sale price to cover the replumbing costs. One way or another, it's "pay me now or pay me later".
A barn may get by without having to be rebuilt, but plumbing and especially any electrical work that isn't done to code and without a permit is not likely to fly.
I don't know the layout of your buildings and septic system, but you need to have a 1/4" drop per linear foot of drain line, either to tie into your main drain line to the septic system or to the tank itself.
Good Luck!
Mike
Mike Swearingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008, 09:22 AM   #5
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Swearingen View Post
As a NC real estate broker for more than 21 years and an avid DIYer for more than 50 years, I highly advise anyone against doing anything that isn't to code or done without proper permits.
Try to sell your property with significant code violations. You'll have to have it done right at that time, or discount the sale price to cover the replumbing costs. One way or another, it's "pay me now or pay me later".
A barn may get by without having to be rebuilt, but plumbing and especially any electrical work that isn't done to code and without a permit is not likely to fly.
I don't know the layout of your buildings and septic system, but you need to have a 1/4" drop per linear foot of drain line, either to tie into your main drain line to the septic system or to the tank itself.
Good Luck!
Mike
I'm not sure if this is just an Oregon amendment, but we only have to maintain 1/4" per foot to our 24" distance beyond the structure. Sewer laterals and the like can be 1/8" per foot.
Old 05-12-2008, 09:44 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by schmolze View Post
i want to install a bathroom in a barn across the driveway from the house.

the septic is probably 20 years old and i have no idea how big it is.

the barn is not at all to code, so i want to keep this under the radar.

i'm wondering what the best way of doing this is.

do i need to excavate a trench to the septic, install the pipes, hook them up to the septic, etc...? i think it will need a pump as it wouldn't be gravity fed.

i'm also considering just doing a composting toilet, but i'll still need a sink and shower. would the gray water need to go to septic, or could it just be leeched?

would a local plumber help me with this, even if there are no permits, and we're not to code?

the bathroom will be on the ground floor. it will be roughly 50-75' from the existing septic.

thanks.
Did you get permits for all the other renovation work you've done to the barn?

Do you have any idea why there are plumbing, septic, leech field and cesspool codes? It's not all about YOU.
LawnGuyLandSparky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 12:30 PM   #7

There's no doubt in my mind that it'll save you headaches to do this the legal way. You're assuming that there's no way to put a bathroom in the barn that meets code, but I don't think that's likely the case. With your assumption you'll go ahead and mickey mouse something that may or not work for you. Best case scenario - it works properly (ie, drains, doesn't cause damage to your septic system, etc) you'll just have to worry about getting nailed when you sell. Worst case scenario, you do a lot of work your own way, and then the bathroom doesn't work, or backs up water into your house plumbing, or who knows what. Then you'll have to redo all that work.

Wouldn't it be easier to just find out what the a proper way to do it is (working with a plumber and inspectors) and get it right the first time?
NateHanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 12:53 PM   #8
General Contractor

Any post that contains "i want to keep this under the radar" is just a recipe for disaster....
MacRoadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 01:03 PM   #9

Yikes what about the damage you may do to the soil and the neighbours yard. Not proper septic is dangerous and the waste could leech into your water system. Don't try to save a few bucks and ruin something else this is not to be played with it is serious.

Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote