Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-28-2007, 03:51 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

New Bathroom

I have a bathroom in my house that needs to be completely gutted and re-done. This is my first home and unfortunately, I will have to bring someone in to do most of the work. I have no idea what to budget for. What are things I should look to spend more money on and what are some areas that I should go cheaper on. Iím having 3-4 different people to come out and give me quotes next week and just wanted to get some ideas or thoughts before they come out. Thanks.

stevenblick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 04:58 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 528

New Bathroom

If you don't know anything about the quality of bathroom fixtures, then you leave yourself at the mercy of the contractors. When they install something, they call it quality materials. when sometimes its not.
You have to know what materials you want. There's cheap, good, better and best.
Look for a contractor that can supply a materials list books so that you can pick out what you prefer. Don't let them pick it for you.
Stay away from any contractor who cannot supply you with these.

rjordan392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 05:41 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

New Bathroom

Spend some time on the internet looking at other remodels. Do you like tile ($$$) or will a tub surround do ($)? Tile floors/vinyl/laminate? Is it a big bathroom where you could put a whirlpool tub, or will a standard tub be OK? Do you want more electrical outlets or do you need to move the plumbing? Consider doing the demo work yourself to save some money for something else.
billinak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2007, 06:33 PM   #4

Smile

New Bathroom

What is your bathroom like now?

Maybe you wouldn't have to gut it.

I didn't have the budget so I scraped sanded and faux painted the walls, sanded and re-stained the vanity, replaced the hardware and faucet. The biggest expense was having a refinisher come in and re-do the tub [$450] and re-do the counter [$50] in a granite like finish. I also replaced the shower fixtures, light fixture, exhaust/heater fan and added an over the commode cabinet. I'm pretty sure I came in right at $1000. When we finish up tomorrow, I was considering posting pictures of the results.
shapeshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 11:30 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 10

New Bathroom

The bathroom right now is in rough shape. There is water damage under the tub, so that for sure needs to be yanked out and flooring replaced. The tile, toilet, and vanity is all pink. This is the original bathroom, built in the 50's. The tile, vanity, mirror, toilet, and tub all need to go.

Can anyone recommend a good website or magazine that will have remodel ideas and material listings/products?
stevenblick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 04:57 PM   #6

New Bathroom

Wow, that sounds like a lot of work. I was very lucky in that my renovation was mostly cosmetic and refurbishing.
shapeshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 06:43 PM   #7
Home Improvement Guy

Rewards Points: 250

New Bathroom

Can anyone recommend a good website or magazine that will have remodel ideas and material listings/products?[/quote]

Fine Homebuilding "Kitchens and Baths annual issue"...winter 2006
ron schenker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2007, 08:07 PM   #8

New Bathroom

What's stopping you from going to home depot and writing out all the items you need/like and going by those prices? The contractor may be able to get them a little cheaper but it probably wont be by much.

I'm rehabin' a repo home including a small bathroom, here's some figures I've come up with just off the top of my head for my project, no real research done yet... granted it's a 8x5 bathroom, you may have to adjust for size accordingly.

Don't may yourself an easy target to get ripped off by not doing any research...

fan/heat/light unit $75
tile floor ($1.87/sqft) $75
medicine cabinet $50
paint/drywall/floor $200
wall tiling $100
sink faucet $45
toilet $150
tub/shower faucet $100
vanity 31x19 $150
vanity top $170
wall cabinet $90
elementx440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 04:16 PM   #9
Brand Newb

Rewards Points: 25

New Bathroom

Quote:
Originally Posted by elementx440 View Post
I'm rehabin' a repo home including a small bathroom, here's some figures I've come up with just off the top of my head for my project, no real research done yet... granted it's a 8x5 bathroom, you may have to adjust for size accordingly.

Don't may yourself an easy target to get ripped off by not doing any research...

fan/heat/light unit $75
tile floor ($1.87/sqft) $75
medicine cabinet $50
paint/drywall/floor $200
wall tiling $100
sink faucet $45
toilet $150
tub/shower faucet $100
vanity 31x19 $150
vanity top $170
wall cabinet $90
elementx440,
I was pricing stuff for my bathroom rehab at HD, and some of those prices seem a little low. Granted you said it's off the top of your head. And I was looking at some higher end faucets (Moen or Price Pfister). Is this house going to be a flip or a rental?

Last edited by rb_in_va; 03-10-2007 at 04:18 PM.
rb_in_va is offline   Reply With Quote