Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-16-2012, 08:23 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

New bath/shower handle has LESS pressure - need solution!

Hey all, I have a bath/shower at a summer home (pump driven from the lake). The water pressure in the lines is great - in fact the old bath faucet shot water out like a torrent.

It used to have 3 handles - 1 for hot, 1 for cold, and the middle one to send water to the shower.

It was replaced with a Moen singe lever desgin (with the little thingy on the bath faucet to send water to the shower head).

The water is now noticably different from the bath faucet AND the shower head!

Do these units have water blockers/filters? If so, how do I remove them?

If they dont - are there units that exist without them?

I have lake water as it is, and the filters on newer faucets jam up with it - so I cant have them!

Any ideas are GREATLY appreciated!

LordX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 06:29 AM   #2

Hi LordX,

It sounds like the Moen apparatus has smaller holes for water admission than did the regular valves you had on the old fixture. This is probably okay on a municipal supply where the water pressure is relatively high but from experience with the types of pumps used to pump water out of a lake or whatever, the pump discharge head may not be enough to make up for the new restriction.

Or there is the possibility when you disturbed the plumbing some chunks of crap out of the line dislodged and are now in the fixture.

I have had both things happen to me. If you take the fixture apart try try try not to scratch any of the surfaces on the inside of the valve because you will wind up scratching the rubber washers and you`ll have drip torture.

MorknMindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:51 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 6

I've put in 2 recently, not Moen, but similar.

If the valve has a hot and a cold shutoff screw, to turn off water without turning off all house supply, make sure they are full open. You will have to remove handle and (chrome?) cover (2 screws?) to get access.

If you have a scalding adjustment to limit hot supply, make sure it's near the top of the possible range of valve. Stated another way, let some hot water out of your hot water heater. Let it fire/heat for about 20 minutes (when the water is really hottest). Then make adjustment for hottest allowed at tub/shower. Make the adjustment so hot supplied is comfortable and at the highest point in the handle range (full on/handle all the way on to end of range; play with this til you are happy). That provides max pressure as well. Get your install instructions online if plumber did not provide. Usually small gear-like plastic sliders.

Lastly, if you have a restricter in shower head to save water, try it without it. Or vice versa, if none is there, add one which in theory may increase pressure.

You should focus on increasing shower pressure. Bath will just take longer to fill with new faucet/valve but low water pressure for a shower is never good.
diyorpay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 09:02 AM   #4

Yeah I am mainly focusing on the shower pressure. There is a lot of work to be done at a camp/cottage and when its time to shower, I want it nice.

The bath/shower handle instruction manual says: Moen: INS2151A-9/11 (hopefully the right number)

I am not going to have to rip off the wall behind the shower to gain access to these adjustments will I?
Old 06-17-2012, 09:19 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 6

No mods required. If good plumber put it in, probably set to full open but only 1 way to know for sure.

Close drain (so no screws 'disappear'). Remove handle. May need an allen wrench or small screwdriver to remove set screws.

Remove decorative chrome backing plate that holds it to tile wall. Once removed, you see the valve. Check that 2 screws (one on left, one on right?) are full open (to left). This provides max pressure.

On the valve stem (where the handle was) there's typically an adjustment for the max hot level so no small children or elderly (or stupid) can get burned. It may be a gear plastic part that slides off partially and then can be slid back on in a different spot. If your valve is all the way on now, and the temperature is not too hot, leave it alone. If you have to lower the handle to make it less hot, you are also reducing water pressure. You want to adjust so handle is up all the way (or near it) and water is a temperature you're happy with.

Getting the decorative cover plate back on may take time, trial and error, because you won't be able to see holes to screw back into. Takes patience.
diyorpay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 10:10 AM   #6

I am going to tackle this next weekend, and will bring the camera so I can post actual pics.

Hope you will be online next weekend
Old 06-22-2012, 06:48 PM   #7

Ok, I called Moen - but I got some foreign person who I could barely understand, and I am sure could not understand me well.

She said that their is no adjustment for water flow on my model (there IS a hot water adjustment though).

So I can try that.

However, I am NOT optimistic about it.

Lets say that this does nothing. Is there a faucet I can get that does NOT restrict water flow at all? I dont even care if I have to buy something modded.

What does the restricting in the faucet end? The cartridge?
Old 06-22-2012, 07:55 PM   #8
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 92

If you are taking about the shower head---remove the shower head entirely--test the pressure with an open pipe.

If it's good--remove the flow restrictor (it's part of the washer at the threaded part)

Drilling the hole open might be required--

See if that helps---most heads are 'low flow' water saver units---they will have some kind of restricting washer---Mike---
Old 06-22-2012, 08:03 PM   #9

It is not the shower head. I got one from takeashower.com (the reg spa fire hydrant head).

This head WORKS - I tested it at my home before coming up to the summer home. (see you tube for some guys that filmed the difference it made for them!)

Amazing difference on my home basement shower - what was once almost dribbling out now shot water and knocked off my shampoo from the shelf!

So I brought this tested and great shower head up here - and it works better than the one I had - but nothing can create water flow where there is none.

When I say high flow faucet - I mean the mechanism behind the actual handle. This must control overall water flow since I noticed a difference even in the tub spout after the new one was installed.

I need a product that will allow water to flow unrestricted - just like the old 3 handle design that used to be up here.

PS - For the quick skimmers - ITS NOT THE SHOWER HEAD!
Old 06-22-2012, 08:20 PM   #10
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 92

With that I will bow out of your thread--I believe I answered your question in the first thread you had on this same subject--
Old 06-22-2012, 08:36 PM   #11

Mike - the PS wasn't intended for you.

Also - I did have a thread about the guest house associated with this camp - but in the end settled on the fact that is must be the lines to that guest cabin since the pressure was never good.

The pressure to the main camp was always good - until this new bath/shower handle install.

It has also been a really busy summer with problems (blew my jet ski motor) so I have had a lot of posts on a lot of forums - sorry if I missed something that you posted!