Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-16-2008, 09:30 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

New basemnt bathroom questions

I am putting a half bath in my basement and I have a few questions. I live in a 1940's bungalow and the plumbing all comes down to the main underneath the basement floor and out to the street. So no pump required. The main clean out is about 6-8 feet from the where I would like to put the new toilet\sink, but there is a regular drain in the floor even closer. Can I connect to the regular floor drain or do I have to go over to the main clean-out? The reason I ask is we had a backup do to roots a while back and the drain closer to the clean-out did not back-up, but the one all the way on the other side of the basement did. Makes me wonder why the one right next to it did not backup.

Also, I would like to take the new 2" vent from the sink out the side of the basement, as the main vent stack is all the way on the other side of the basement. Is this possible?

Thanks, Scott...

smuth10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 10:54 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,000

The "regular drain" has a trap in it. You would need to remove the trap before you could use the piping connected to it. As far as running the vent out the wall. you would still need to run it up above the roof due to sewer gas. If you live in an area where cold weather occurs, you would also take a chance on it freezing since there would be condensation inside it. Not sure about why one drain was clogged and the other was not.

Old 09-16-2008, 11:57 AM   #3

So what other options for venting do I have? For me to run the 2" vent up and over to the main vent on the other side of the basement, it would be about a 20" horizontal run. I know this will not work.

Thanks, Scott...
Old 09-16-2008, 01:35 PM   #4

I have been doing some research and I see I can use an air admittance valve as long as it is at least 6" about the top of the highest flood rim. What I would like to do is go from 1 1\2" sink down and over to the 3" toilet over and out to the main with the 1 1\2" air admittance valve being above the sink in the wall. That is all I will have venting from this. Is this logic correct? Will this work?

This is the site I found some info on

http://www.toolbase.org/Technology-I...ittance-valves

Bueler, Anyone?

Last edited by smuth10; 09-16-2008 at 02:06 PM.