New - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 09-10-2013, 10:53 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 77

new

I have tried every way to install a shower in my roughed in area in the basement. No matter how I lay it out it just won't work. The contractor installed roughed in plumbing for a bathtub and it looks like I will have to put in a bathtub. My question is quick and easy. There are three types of bathtubs, cast iron, steel and acrylic. I have an acrylic bathtub and a acrylic shower in the main bathroom. I find the acrylic can get dirty and when it does it's really hard to get clean, I even went to a plumbing supply and bought some of their cleaner and it won't get it sparkling white. Talked to a plumber and he suggested a steel bathtub, said much easier to work with, I did look at steel bathtubs and they look nice but they are painted with an enamel fiinish and seem rather flimsy. The big box store has an American Standard cast iron bathtub on sale for a bit over $250, regular price is almost $400. I know it weights over 300 pounds but it seems to me the porcelain finish is much easier to clean and the tub would look and feel better. I know the installation and weight would be much harder, but it is in a basement and I can drive the tub right to the walkin area and put it on moving dollies. So, any advice?

Advertisement

boilermaker27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 10:58 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 250

new

I agree that a cast iron tub is the best are far as stubs go.. I just installed one to replace a 60-odd year old one.

But if you do want a shower, I can't imagine why you couldn't install a custom made tile shower. It can be made in any dimension you want

Advertisement

RoyalAcresRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:24 AM   #3
MarginallyQualified

Rewards Points: 2,314

new

Quote:
Originally Posted by boilermaker27 View Post
The contractor installed roughed in plumbing for a bathtub

I have tried every way to install a shower in my roughed in area in the basement. No matter how I lay it out it just won't work.

...it looks like I will have to put in a bathtub.
So, any advice?
Change the rough-in.
TarheelTerp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 11:26 AM   #4

new

The problem with installing a shower is in the fact that the contractor installed the roughed in plumbing and where the drain is located in the box with gravel does not leave enough room between the toilet and shower. According to everything I have read you have to have 15" by code on either side of the toilet measured from the center of the toilet waste line. By using a bathtub I have just exactly 15", but I will have to stud using 2x3 studs and cut down a treated 2x4 for the bottom plate. The roughed in plumbing is located in an area where two basement walls come into a corner and there is not enough room to move the shower to another area. I have to have 21' in front of the toilet by code and the shower would intrude in that area. If I move it opposite the toilet then I have a problem with putting in a door. Since the roughed in plumbing is put there with a bathtub in mind it seems like the only solution and I will have to go with it. I agree and thanks for the advice on the cast iron bathtub, I think it's the best way to go also.
Old 09-10-2013, 11:54 AM   #5

new

I agree with Tar Heel about changing the rough in if you really want a shower. I'm sure it's a failure of my pea brain...but I'm having trouble understanding why if a tub would fit, why not dissension a shower to fit in there?

The shower drain can be placed anywhere on the floor as long as its sloped properly to it.
RoyalAcresRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:24 PM   #6
K&B Designer

new

Do a complete wet room and do away with any walls between shower and toilet. Your required clearances can overlap. That 15" to the nearest obstruction becomes the back wall of the shower, so there's well over the 15" needed. And the 32" for the shower can be part of the space around the toilet. You will have to change the rough in, and the waterproofing is more complex and expensive, but it's one way to manage small spaces and make them work. If you also need to have a sink in this area, a pedestal sink will work. The only "gotcha" on this is needing one of those fancy TP holders that's covered from the shower overspray.
Live_Oak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 12:25 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 10

new

I don't know where you are, but if you are under the UPC that code requires that a 30" diameter be able to sit on the floor of the shower. You would never make it with the threshold. Also, the trap arm is no doubt 1 1/2" and would need to be increased to 2".
ask tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 05:02 PM   #8

new

thanks for the replies. I went ahead and bought the Kohler cast iron tub, it was on sale for $269, which was cheap. I think Lowes just wanted to get rid of it.

Advertisement