Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-10-2012, 08:14 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

Never heard this one before

A co-worker helped out a neighbor a couple days ago when they had a water line in the wall to a hose bib break. They opened up the wall and found that someone had previously repaired the line by splicing in a piece of garden hose clamped one end to the hose bib and the other to the CPVC pipe. Apparently it had broken (maybe froze) in the past and a piece of pipe was just cut out and not repaired... instead replaced with the hose. The drywall had been redone concealing the water hose splice. Of couse that is what burst. Luckily the homeowners were there when it broke. Just when you think you've seen or heard it all....

raylo32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 08:32 AM   #2
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 22

That's a new one---don't you love hose clamps on a pressure line----

I dropped by a job a few weeks back and Moe and Larry were installing a water softner without Curly to guide them---they managed to snap off the pipe to the well pressure tank---

Larry had a rubber Fernco in hand when I told him to leave it alone--I'd fix it the next day--

No flux ---softener needed to be redone,too. Customer paid four hours to these stooges--Got to love it.---Mike----

Old 03-11-2012, 06:40 AM   #3

Not to hijack you but my Dad used to run electrical cords behind the sheet rock to various lights etc. Thank God I am still here.
COLDIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 06:44 AM   #4
Happy to help

Quote:
Originally Posted by COLDIRON View Post
Not to hijack you but my Dad used to run electrical cords behind the sheet rock to various lights etc. Thank God I am still here.

all too common
Lighting Retro is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lighting Retro For This Useful Post:
oh'mike (03-11-2012)
Old 03-11-2012, 09:13 AM   #5
Master Plumber

Rewards Points: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by raylo32 View Post
A co-worker helped out a neighbor a couple days ago when they had a water line in the wall to a hose bib break. They opened up the wall and found that someone had previously repaired the line by splicing in a piece of garden hose clamped one end to the hose bib and the other to the CPVC pipe. Apparently it had broken (maybe froze) in the past and a piece of pipe was just cut out and not repaired... instead replaced with the hose. The drywall had been redone concealing the water hose splice. Of couse that is what burst. Luckily the homeowners were there when it broke. Just when you think you've seen or heard it all....
You want to see some creative rigging, come to Miami you would not believe some of the crap we run across. Youíre not going to believe this one which is the last one and probably the best one to date Iíve seen , I donít want to use the word plumber because that would be an insult to all plumbers. He is an employee for the local Rooter in Miami. This guy was installing get this a 3Ē PVC sewer line from house to the street get this he was using ferncos to connect the joints unreal forced the fernco over the fitting hub then connected to the pipe had about 12 ferncos on that line, had no idea that it had to be glued. Even the home owner knew something was not right so she call his office and they told her he was an experienced plumber and job would be fine, she had to good foresight to call the city and also go on line and look for second opinion, thatís how she found us They had no permit and turns out the guy had just started working for them 12 weeks training basic plumbing. The inspector got there a few minutes before I did and the guy flipped out when he saw what was going on. Top this one.

Experience is Knowing what to do next, Skill is knowing how to do it

http://www.americandrain.net
Javiles is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 09:27 AM   #6
Doing it myself

Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Javiles View Post
You want to see some creative rigging, come to Miami you would not believe some of the crap we run across. Youíre not going to believe this one which is the last one and probably the best one to date Iíve seen , I donít want to use the word plumber because that would be an insult to all plumbers. He is an employee for the local Rooter in Miami. This guy was installing get this a 3Ē PVC sewer line from house to the street get this he was using ferncos to connect the joints unreal forced the fernco over the fitting hub then connected to the pipe had about 12 ferncos on that line, had no idea that it had to be glued. Even the home owner knew something was not right so she call his office and they told her he was an experienced plumber and job would be fine, she had to good foresight to call the city and also go on line and look for second opinion, thatís how she found us They had no permit and turns out the guy had just started working for them 12 weeks training basic plumbing. The inspector got there a few minutes before I did and the guy flipped out when he saw what was going on. Top this one.
A GC in my area laid a 4" ABS drain from the house to the city for the H.O. and dug the most ungodly looking ditch you have ever seen. He bought 10ft lengths from the hardware store, and must have had 8-10 couplings on the thing, however, he was using regular glue couplings as some might use a fernco. I've never seen a regular coupling used as a 1/16 bend. I'd bet none of the couplings have the pipe fully seated in them.

To top it off it looked like he used multipurpose cement on the joints. Did it leak? I don't know. Just shook my head and went about my business.