Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 08-15-2011, 06:22 PM   #1

Share |

Neo-Angle Shower Enclosure Reviews: Vigo or Dreamline?

Does anyone have any experience to share regarding frameless/semi-frameless, neo-angle shower enclosures?

My husband and I have just torn out an existing (horrendous) neo angled shower. . .the doors, walls, base, etc. and we are trying to figure out what we want to put back in. We know we are going to tile the walls, but that's all we have decided on. Any shower pans/bases that you would recommend? Also, what glass shower enclosures would you suggest? We don't like the fully framed look. The dimensions of our old one were 38" along the walls, 20" wings and 25" across the center where the door goes.

I have found a Vigo "frameless" neo angle shower and a Dreamline one, as well, but would love to hear some feedback as I haven't found any real reviews on either. I am somewhat concerned about the weight of the tempered glass on an acrylic/fiberglass base as well as potential leaking issues.

Any help would be much appreciated!

cartin227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 07:40 AM   #2

To be quite honest, nothing compares to frameless, however, i wouldn't suggest installing a frameless shower on a base - that would ruin the whole frameless look. My suggestion is as follows, there are two floor mounting options, there is what we call a beach shower, that is to slope the shower floor considerably to accommodate for drainage and then mosaic that section. Because there are no frames the frameless glass sits perfectly on that kind of floor - however, should the floor not be well sloped, there could be leakage after some time. The second option is to build (brick, plaster & tile) a 110mm plinth or upstand that will accomodate the shower enclosure, this is a more practical idea regarding drainage and looks better than a tray.

See http://www.continentalsa.co

glasssteamsauna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2011, 11:18 AM   #3

We remodeled one of our bathrooms and installed a Dreamline rounded corner shower. No real issues with it, except that the drain connection that came with it was metric and wouldn't fit my piping. And, it was very expensive. Also, as is typical, the installation instructions read like they were translated from French into English by a Chinaman.

Last edited by md2lgyk; 10-20-2011 at 11:20 AM.
md2lgyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 10:03 AM   #4

Frameless shower enclosures are really the answer in this situation, in my opinion anyways. We had a fully fitted free standing shower enclosure in our ensuite, but after much deliberation, decided to change it for a frameless glass screen shower enclosure build.

We tiled two surrounding walls and used a frameless glass screen to make up the third "wall" - really works great and looks the bees knees.

Hope that helps!
dvitendi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 10:49 PM   #5

I would suggest bringing in a journeyman glazier to quote you on a frameless shower encloser. They are extremely attractive, but can be a problem if not installed properly. I always tie a header into any framless glass that has more then just a door because walls always expand and contract. The header would help keep everything in check. There is also a product called showerguard (www.showerguardglass.com) different manufacturers offer different products, but this is the top of the line. Any other questions feel free to ask journeymanglazier@live.ca
spike1985 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bathroom, bathroom remodel, glass, plumbing, shower