Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-24-2012, 10:54 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

neighbors sump pump drains onto my property

Who do I contact if the contractor does not fix my neighbors drainage onto my yard? Part of my yard is now saturated constantly

Sharon Bernstei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:58 AM   #2

Rewards Points: 3,110

I'd start with the people next door.
If that does not work then I'd go to the building dept. if the house is still under constrution.
In most areas it's againt the law to do what there doing.

joecaption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 11:04 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon Bernstei View Post
Who do I contact if the contractor does not fix my neighbors drainage onto my yard? Part of my yard is now saturated constantly
This comes up so often its not even funny. Few questions first:

Are you in a subdivision? How old is the home?
Is the sump pump discharge line physically on your property?

The answer is fairly simple if in a fairly new subdivision. Every home is built with an approved grading plan. That plan is approved by the municipality and before the builder can get any deposits back, he must have an Engineer sign off stating the grading on the lot was done in accordance with the approved plan. Typically, all properties are graded to accomodate their own drainage. There are such things as mutual agreement drains but we will cross that bridge when you give more information.

FWIW, I deal with this stuff everyday.

If there are no approved grading plans, because the homes are older and that sorta thing wasn't done at the time, there is nothing stopping you from berming up that side of your property, not allowing your neighbours drainage to flow onto yours.

Last edited by psilva8; 02-24-2012 at 11:08 AM.
psilva8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:31 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 2,000

First go to your library and look in Nolo Press's book on Neighbor Law.

IIRC, it's likely that if you pitch your yard so that the water pools in his yard, you are liable.

My neighbor, who also drains his downspouts onto my property, has a "sense of entitlement" so I am waiting for him to move or die. This same sense allows him to take my newspaper if he can't find his.

Last edited by Yoyizit; 02-24-2012 at 12:43 PM.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:37 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 500

Only contact the neighbor twice and then seek another avenue to correct the problem. After two times they can claim harassment.

Writer’s information is for discussion purpose only and should be confirmed by an independent source.
Hardway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:48 PM   #6

Rewards Points: 10

Thanks for your help. The home is around 60yrs old, same as mine. The drainage pipe was pointed directly at my property but the contractor temporarily fixed it to run parallel to my property but the flow is flooding that part of my yard now. My drainage pipe is in the front of my house and runs onto my property but away from my problem area(the basement). Why would his sump pump be putting out so much water, we haven't had any rain?
Sharon Bernstei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 12:52 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,000

Quote:
Thanks for your help. The home is around 60yrs old, same as mine. The drainage pipe was pointed directly at my property but the contractor temporarily fixed it to run parallel to my property but the flow is flooding that part of my yard now. My drainage pipe is in the front of my house and runs onto my property but away from my problem area(the basement). Why would his sump pump be putting out so much water, we haven't had any rain?
The contractor needs to know how your yard is pitched, how steeply and in what direction. 1% or less pitch is lousy for drainage.
Yoyizit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 01:05 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 150

Quote:
The fix is easy. The issue will be for you and your neighbour to come to an agreement on the outcome. Are you able to post some pics?

psilva8 is offline   Reply With Quote