Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-04-2013, 02:18 PM   #1

Share |

Need utility sink drain help

I am looking to install a utility sink in our utility room next to the washer and dryer. I am a little confused on where I can place the sink drain. I have attached photos to how what I am working with. The pipe on the left appears to be a vent but has a clean out net the floor. The PVC going horizontal comes from the sump pump and ties into the main drain pipe and the vertical PVC vents out of the house. Any help would be great. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Need utility sink drain help-image.jpg  

Last edited by mkerns12; 01-04-2013 at 02:22 PM. Reason: Add photo
mkerns12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:06 PM   #2

I think you need to provide more pictures. Show us the main waste stack/soil pipe - especially where it exits the building, and both ends of that horizontal line. I'd also like to see the "sump". Something about your descriptions doesn't make sense. If the horizontal PVC is a sump pump discharge, why is there a tee on it? And if that vertical pipe (the portion below the tee serving the washing machine vent) is a vent, what does it serve? A floor drain?

Just as an aside, I'd recommend cutting the washing machine standpipe about 6" below it's horizontal vent pipe. If that drain line ever became clogged, water would spill down through the vent(s) before overflowing the standpipe.

Last edited by Ishmael; 01-04-2013 at 06:12 PM.
Ishmael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:30 PM   #3

Here is the main drain and from what I can tell that vent serves for the floor drain. The horizontal runs behind the washing machines to the sump then you can see it drains into the main drain. The pipe that goes up from the sump pump line goes out the window...
Attached Thumbnails
Need utility sink drain help-image.jpg  
Old 01-05-2013, 05:06 AM   #4

"The pipe that goes up from the sump pump line goes out the window... "

Wow...what a mess. What's the capped pipe that comes up out of the slab at an angle to the left of the water heater?

Last edited by Ishmael; 01-05-2013 at 05:09 AM.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:39 AM   #5

Yea it's a mess for sure. I can only assume that whoever installed the sump pump thought he pipe going out the window would out as a vent! Not sure which line you are asking about. There are no lines to the left of the water heater coming out of the slab that I can see.
Old 01-05-2013, 09:50 AM   #6
Roofmaster

First of all, get rid of that corrugated aluminum dryer vent and install smooth sheet metal flue piping. That crap is an accident looking for a place to happen. (FIRE) Then mark what the pipes are doing in the picture and re-post.

You also need to support your pipes properly. I dont see any support anywhere????

Unistrut, or even PT wood blocking can be used with expansion anchors into the block wall.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:54 AM   #7
Roofmaster

The squadron of force pumps indicates that your drainage situation is pretty poor.

jagans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:40 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkerns12 View Post
Yea it's a mess for sure. I can only assume that whoever installed the sump pump thought he pipe going out the window would out as a vent! Not sure which line you are asking about. There are no lines to the left of the water heater coming out of the slab that I can see.
Sorry - just my poor eyesight. The water filter looked like a 3" pipe sticking up out of the slab (until I took a closer look).

I think the best bet from what I can see would be to disconnect the whole sump pump mess and tie the utility sink drain into the main drain where the sump discharge is currently - leave a branch/opening for the sump pump. Tie the vent for the utility sink into the vent riser from the washing machine trap. The sump pump can then be hooked back up properly.

Last edited by Ishmael; 01-05-2013 at 12:47 PM.