Need Urgent Help With Relocation Of Shower P Trap - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-30-2012, 11:47 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 75

Need urgent help with relocation of shower P trap

Need some urgent help - need to fix this tomorrow.

Have a swanstone shower pan installed and since the drain location is in a different spot than the old shower pan, the entire P trap needed to be moved. There are a few problems.

The offshoot from from the 4" line is almost right under the shower pan opening. I rigged up a new P trap and 2 45s to offset it enough for it to line back up. I went to attach it and realized that I cut the stub on offshoot too short. I tried to glue it, but there just wasnt enough for it to grab onto.

Is there something else I can use? Can I even attempt to chip out the pipe sticking out of the offshoot that I cut to short to put a new 2" pipe in there? Or should I attempt to glue on a coupler and redo what i had assembled for the P trap?

Any suggestions for me? Please help because Im really in a jam.

Here is a picture of what I'm dealing with.

Advertisement

vetting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:18 AM   #2
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

No vent?

They make a tool for drilling the pipe out of a hub. You might be able to find one at the hardware store, or you might have to order one online.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CGcQ8wIwAQ

Advertisement

oh'mike (05-31-2012)
Old 05-31-2012, 12:19 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
No vent?

They make a tool for drilling the pipe out of a hub. You might be able to find one at the hardware store, or you might have to order one online.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CGcQ8wIwAQ
The vent is about 2 feet further up the pipe - just out of the picture. It used to run right were the shower pan comes out so I already cut it out to move it. Just trying to figure out the P trap situation so I then can route the vent.

Last edited by vetting; 05-31-2012 at 12:24 AM.
Old 05-31-2012, 12:26 AM   #4

Rewards Points: 25

I would take some coarse sandpaper and clean up the pipe in the hub and then put pvc primer on it and glue on a new coupling. You could also cut the whole ty out and install a new one by gluing short pieces of pipe into the ends. Then install it with rubber couplings. Fernco is a brand I have used. I see there is a fitting 90 in one side of the tee. You could also use a rubber coupling on the pipe stub.

Last edited by sanec1; 05-31-2012 at 12:29 AM.
sanec1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:29 AM   #5
sacramento plumber

Location: born and raised in San mateo ca. living in Sacramento Ca for 3 years now.

ok a question, were is the vent for the shower? and after that 3+2 y sorry for that that + i can't find a times button any way what's the 3" picking up? hopefully there's a vent for that fixture post another pic.I would like to give you some advice but not seeing a vent would mean a lot more work, however i do see what looks like a coupling there leaving even less room you can cut that coupling off flush to the 3+2 they sell a tool called ram bit they come in several sizes you need a 2" use a cordless drill and drill out inside the fitting then check if that will do it.If not then maybe a street 45 going Parallel to the 3" go past the shower and swing the trap back 180.But PLEASE POST MORE OF THAT DRAIN UP AND DOWNSTREAM.
wctekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:36 AM   #6
sacramento plumber

Location: born and raised in San mateo ca. living in Sacramento Ca for 3 years now.

By the time i was replying i read the up dates i am slow the vent is not correct should be on the 2"
wctekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 12:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wctekkk View Post
ok a question, were is the vent for the shower? and after that 3+2 y sorry for that that + i can't find a times button any way what's the 3" picking up? hopefully there's a vent for that fixture post another pic.I would like to give you some advice but not seeing a vent would mean a lot more work, however i do see what looks like a coupling there leaving even less room you can cut that coupling off flush to the 3+2 they sell a tool called ram bit they come in several sizes you need a 2" use a cordless drill and drill out inside the fitting then check if that will do it.If not then maybe a street 45 going Parallel to the 3" go past the shower and swing the trap back 180.But PLEASE POST MORE OF THAT DRAIN UP AND DOWNSTREAM.
I wont have any more pics until tomorrow. The main pipe leads to the toilet. The vent is between the shower and the toilet.

Im starting to think using a ram bit is the way to go.

Run a 45 street along side the main and then tie in the Ptrap.

Do any big box stores sell ram bits?
Old 05-31-2012, 12:44 AM   #8

Quote:
By the time i was replying i read the up dates i am slow the vent is not correct should be on the 2"
How would there ever be room for the vent directly on the 2" to the shower?

Since the vent is upstream from the shower 2", I thought it was fine.

Last edited by vetting; 05-31-2012 at 12:52 AM.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:18 AM   #9
Doing it myself

Quote:
sorry for that that + i can't find a times button
qrstuvwxyz

?

Old 05-31-2012, 10:19 AM   #10
Doing it myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by vetting View Post
I wont have any more pics until tomorrow. The main pipe leads to the toilet. The vent is between the shower and the toilet.

Im starting to think using a ram bit is the way to go.

Run a 45 street along side the main and then tie in the Ptrap.

Do any big box stores sell ram bits?
If the vent is between the shower and the toilet, then that vent is for the toilet. The shower should have it's own vent.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:47 AM   #11

So where is the vent supposed to go with the limited space?

As of now, im planning on gluing a coupler on the stub piece. Then running an angle piece with a street elbow that will run parallel with the main. Then run a 45 down into the trap.
Old 05-31-2012, 01:54 PM   #12

Quote:

As of now, im planning on gluing a coupler on the stub piece. Then running an angle piece with a street elbow that will run parallel with the main. Then run a 45 down into the trap.
Found a local place that has a 2" ram bit - so going to go that route now. Just going to drill the pipe out and then put in a 45 degree street elbow to avoid any clearance issues. From there, I can configure the trap without using a bunch of fittings.
Old 05-31-2012, 09:27 PM   #13
Doing it myself

Quote:
Welcome to laying out a plumbing system 101.

Your drain has to intersect a wall, so that it can be vented, and then the trap arm continued toward the location of the shower outlet.
Old 05-31-2012, 11:02 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
Welcome to laying out a plumbing system 101.

Your drain has to intersect a wall, so that it can be vented, and then the trap arm continued toward the location of the shower outlet.
There will be a vent line running up to the left of the shower pan outlet right up against the sub floor. Can I just T off the 2" shower pipe running horizontally off the horizontal 3" and then T it into that 1.5" vent that is running to further down the 3" for the toilet?
Old 05-31-2012, 11:16 PM   #15

Quote:
There will be a vent line running up to the left of the shower pan outlet right up against the sub floor. Can I just T off the 2" shower pipe running horizontally off the horizontal 3" and then T it into that 1.5" vent that is running to further down the 3" for the toilet?
So would this work? with vent going into the horizontal 2" 45 street elbow that I have running out of the 3" as long as the vent is sloped above the level of the P trap?

Advertisement