Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-19-2011, 09:53 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Need unusual part for faucet installation

I am installing a new faucet but the threaded rods for securing the unit to the vanity are not long enough. I can't find a replacement -- maybe a metric size? It has a 28-thread count, but is smaller than 1/4". Any ideas where I might find the part I need?

Note: I'm converting an old piece of furniture into a bathroom vanity and so the unit is deep where I have drilled the hole for the faucet, which is why the mounting rods are too short. Can't move the whole at this stage, as I have tiled the top of the unit. Must find a way to secure the faucet in this spot. Any ideas?

FishLips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:03 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishLips View Post
I am installing a new faucet but the threaded rods for securing the unit to the vanity are not long enough. I can't find a replacement -- maybe a metric size? It has a 28-thread count, but is smaller than 1/4". Any ideas where I might find the part I need?

Note: I'm converting an old piece of furniture into a bathroom vanity and so the unit is deep where I have drilled the hole for the faucet, which is why the mounting rods are too short. Can't move the whole at this stage, as I have tiled the top of the unit. Must find a way to secure the faucet in this spot. Any ideas?
If it were me i would take the faucet out and go to a good plumbing supply house. They should be able to help. You will not find part's at the box's store's good luck

del schisler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:12 AM   #3
A "Handy Husband"

I am making the assumption this is a piece of wood furniture that you have tiled the top to use as a vanity. From the bottom use a hole saw and enlarge the hole to a depth deep enough to let the existing mountain secure. After you get the hole saw deep enough, use a chisel to break out the wood core.

Since you have drilled the hole thru the vanity already it will be hard to keep a hole saw centered. Take 2 hole saw; a small one the size of the existing hole and a larger one to take out the wood you need relieved. Mount them on the same arbor. The smaller saw will keep the larger one centered in the hole.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:56 AM   #4

Thanks for the suggestion. I considered drilling a larger hole from beneath, however, the hole comes through a support beam. I think thinning this beam will weaken it too much; it is supporting stone tile and a marble sink, so is bearing a lot of weight. I don't want to risk it.
FishLips is offline   Reply With Quote