Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 03-10-2009, 12:43 AM   #1

Share |

Need Tips To Unscrew 30-year Frozen Brass Pipe Fixture

I have a rear yard garden hose faucet / electronic pool filler assembly that is sweated to a 1/2" copper pipe coming out of a stucco wall. The problem is simple, the brass garden hose faucet has a slow leak, most likely a tired rubber washer after 30-years of service. The washer assembly wouldn't come out of the hole after unscrewing the stem / faucet handle cap. The next step also failed, unscrewing the entire faucet assembly and replacing it. The connection to a female brass T is 30-years frozen. I've let DW40 soak the joint and then tried to use a 12' heavy duty wrench after heating the T with a sweating torch. All to no avail. I'd like to avoid sweating off the entire assembly. The T connects to a plastic electric antisiphon valve and then schedule 40 PVC pipe to the pool. I'm concerned too much force well bend the short copper water supply stub coming out of the wall and/or break the PVC pipe.

All tips would be most appreciated.

artdunbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 05:36 PM   #2

Put everything back together and live with the leak.

More precisely, get one of those Y connectors with individual shut offs that you screw onto the faucet and use those shutoffs to control the water. Screw the pool filler or garden hose onto that.

They also make "Y connectors" with just one output and one shutoff if you don't need two.

Old 03-11-2009, 07:14 PM   #3

If you are determined to get the threads unstuck,,,I have never seen the corroded fitting that wont come off with right amount of tapping all round,,,doesnt come first time,,,tap tap again!! Tap harder and harder but not enough to deform things. Use two wrenches so twisting doesnt occur. You said you used a 12 FOOT wrench,,,thats a pretty darn big one. i use a smaller cheater to improve leverage.
4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 09:58 PM   #4
JDC
Plumbing Contractor

Also, use a penetrating oil on it. WD-40 is NOT a lubricant. No, no no it isnt. WD-40 is a Water Displacement agent...thus the WD. Get something like "FreeALL" or "PB Blaster". Soak it then tap it. Then swear. Then heat it. Then swear. Then soak it some more. Have a beer. Come back and try....it just might work! Sorry for being so tongue in cheek. I'm running on about 3 hours of sleep in 5 nights. Wish I could get some of my customers to go with the hosebib wye with shutoffs......

Good luck
JDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 11:38 PM   #5

Thank you JDC. I'm on a search for FeeALL. As a follow-up, the simplest fix is to change the washer. But I can't pull the handle / stem assenbly through the stem hole. Shouldn't it normally come out without a lot of force? Is the washer most likely spread out from over tightening over the years? Would it be a mistake to heat the washer through the hole to soften it?
artdunbar is offline   Reply With Quote