Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-16-2009, 07:30 PM   #1

Share |

Need some help with a tub spout diverter

Hello:

I am in desperate need of some help finding a diverter spout to fit my needs.

I have a bathtub that I want to add a hand held shower to. The bad news is that there is very little space between the control cover plate and the output spout. About 1/2" to 3/4" is all the space I have to work with.

The Alison 1071 looks like a good option, however it is to "large" to fit into the space.

Moen STANDARD one that I have (a 3960) slip on one fits well (carefully said) but only diverts to a "normal" shower.

So here is the question(s) -

Can I adapt the 3690 in a way that I can add the hand held shower outlet ?
(if so what parts do I need?)

OR is there a complete UNIT already out there that will work?

I will attempt to add pictures of the current state as well as one of the moen one that comes CLOSE to what I need.

Thanks (my 1st post so please excuse any errors or omissions.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Need some help with a tub spout diverter-dsc00829.jpg  
Attached Images

froad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 08:12 PM   #2
DIY staff

Bad install--there are hand held shower fittings that adapt to the shower head itself-I'm guessing that you have a special need that will not be satisfied by the higher hose.

There are tub diverter escussions used on some of MOENs fancier fixtures--that would push the spout out about 3/8/ or 1/2 inch--would that give you the clearance needed??

Good luck --let us know what you find.--MIKE--

oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 08:26 PM   #3

I know it was a BAD install... just trying to make the best of a bad situation.

I had the tub installed WITHOUT any shower thoughts as I also had a 5 foot walk in shower installed in the same bathroom.

Thought I would only need the shower and the BASIC tub... Not true NOW.

The problem is the "distance" between the control & the outlet pipe. (poor install... to late now unless I want to open the wall and re=plumb things) The basic moen (with a shower diverter) fits. What I want is the hand held option.

Thinking about drilling a hole through the outside of the spout and "tapping" a output adapter into it and although I think it MIGHT work... not sure on the parts I need to do it.

thanks for the VERY speedy reply.

D

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
Bad install--there are hand held shower fittings that adapt to the shower head itself-I'm guessing that you have a special need that will not be satisfied by the higher hose.

There are tub diverter escussions used on some of MOENs fancier fixtures--that would push the spout out about 3/8/ or 1/2 inch--would that give you the clearance needed??

Good luck --let us know what you find.--MIKE--
Old 11-16-2009, 09:48 PM   #4
DIY staff

Is the wall behind the tub mixer able to be opened? That mixer must have had the shower outlet capped.

You probably would have mentioned that--If it's dry wall behind the mixer adding a pipe will be quick,easy and cheap.
Old 11-16-2009, 09:51 PM   #5
DIY staff

can you post a picture of what you want to install?
Old 11-17-2009, 04:17 PM   #6

OK. The easy way to do this would normally be to open the wall and use the existing valves and such but I DO NOT want to open the wall as it has now been tiled.
I think I have an easy retrofit solution... just have to find the products to do it.
I (hopefully) have attached some pics that MAY help.

The Moen Diverter is a low profile one but diverts into the "up to the shower" connection. Do not want to do that.

There is a Alisons diverter for hand held shower that "fits the bill" BUT it larger size and does not fit under the existing control knob.

So I have attached three pictures.

1) a picture of the current situation
2) a picture of the Alsons diverter that is great but to large in size and has the outlet for a hand held shower on it
3) the Moen diverter that works for "normal" shower stuff and has a LOW profile that does fit under the control lever, but wants to divert to a "normal" shower head.

I guess what I really need is the Moen profile with a hand held option.

If I can not find one, then MAYBE it can be modified/changed to work like the Alsons one?

I know that at the end of the day the SMART thing would have been to add a normal tub/shower install but I did not look far enough ahead to realize this. The install was actually done to spec... I just screwed up and am trying to correct in the easiest way.

Thanks for your help

D
Attached Thumbnails
Need some help with a tub spout diverter-bathtub-spout.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 11-17-2009, 05:09 PM   #7
DIY staff

I think with a little inventiveness you can get the spout to fit. I take it the new spout is 3/4"

Is it a 'push on' or 3/4 thread on? Thread would work --'push on ' might not clear an adapter.

the trim ring could be trimmed to clear the new larger spout.

What do you think?
Old 11-17-2009, 05:22 PM   #8

The pipe is 1/2" and as I may have mentioned, the MOEN fit's perfectly but lacks the "hand held shower" option like the Alson one.

I think I am to the point that I will get the Alson one and see if the "guts" can be adapted to fit into the Moen "body" as that would be an ideal solution.

Really do NOT want to consider opening the wall to make it happen... and as you suggested, I just have to get creative to make it work.

THANKS very much for your sharing of thoughts... gives me more to think about a creative solution.

Later

D
Old 11-18-2009, 04:04 PM   #9
Household Handyman

My memory, My memory--wherefore art thou? Within the past six months I had an almost identical situation for a customer. She wanted to add a hand-held shower to an existing tub/shower unit which had a shower head. This was to help with the care of her elderly Mother. I found a replacement spout unit at Lowe's (no ad here) which was a universal fit and had the male fitting on the bottom for a hand-held shower unit. Once installed, there were three (3) options for water flow: 1) Water through the spout into the tub, 2) Water up through the upper shower head, and 3) Water through the hand-held unit. As best I remember this unit was in the $25-$30 range, but well worth it to the customer. Now her Mom can sit in the shower chair and shower without getting all wet from the upper shower. I hope this helps. David
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 05:41 PM   #10

I can relate to the memory thing. The situation is that I can find a unit that is a "slip on fit" but it has a round profile and about 1" to "tall. The moen one with a "normal" diverter has a "flat top profile" and fits great. I just want to be able to add the hand held option to it. Moen has not responded in any way so not much help there.

I guess one option is to try & "tap into" the moen one and add a "side outlet" just not sure how reliable it would be.

Thanks again for sharing your thoughts.

Dave