Need Seasonal Water Supply Suggestions - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-11-2014, 08:55 PM   #1
Demolition Mode

Rewards Points: 25
Send a message via Yahoo to HandyDave

Need seasonal water supply suggestions

Hi

I currently am wanting to run a water supply line from my house to my workshop which is approximately 100 feet away. I had a plumber come in and I simply can not afford the $2500 bucks to do this.

He wants to hook onto the pressure tank in the basement of my older farm house, drill through the fieldstone foundation and run the black 1 inch plastic pipe to the shop. Which means lots of digging. I live in Wisconsin so I have to be below frost line

So.. I am wondering what would the best way be to run a " temporary" water line? Could I hook onto the pressure tank come out above the fieldstone foundation and bury the line a few inches under ground as long as I drained it down before it froze? ( similar to winterizing an rv in the winter). Should I use a garden hose connection? I need an easy way to blow line out to winterize?

I'm perplex rand looking for some ideas. I want to have a mud sink and hose outlet to wash my car in the shop. The drain is a clean water drain that goes into a drywell

Advertisement

HandyDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2014, 11:14 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 1,414

If you don't need the water in the Winter then burying it a few inches is fine.

Is the ground perfectly level or is there a slope to it? If you have a slope then it's easy. Place a drain cock at the lowest point. When the cold weather comes just turn off the water and open all the taps and the drain cock.

At my cottage it's pretty easy as it's sloped downwards all the way to lake. I just turn off the pump, open all the taps in the cottage and then open a drain cock down at the bottom. Haven't frozen a pipe in 25 years. I don't even drain the P traps... just throw a bit of plumber anti freeze down the drains. (The lines are all surface run at the cottage. Nothing is buried)

If it's level then you will need to place an air valve at the highest point and a drain cock in the basement so you can blow the line with compressed air. This is quite common with summer cottages as well.

Advertisement

Bob Sanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 02:52 AM   #3

Rewards Points: 1,696

A stop and waste valve in the line, located in the basement at a lower level than the line in the shop, will automatically drain the line when the S&W valve is closed for the season. Open the tap in the shop for an atmospheric air supply to drain.
SeniorSitizen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 07:04 AM   #4
Demolition Mode

Thanks guys.... There is a slope so that is NOT a problem at all. Do you think 1" black plastic pipe is overkill for the application?
Old 05-12-2014, 07:40 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,548

I don't think the color of the pipe is too important :-) Why don't you use 3/4" PEX though? It's easy to use, but if you're not burying it, you should know standard PEX isn't approved where there is UV light, so you'll need the UV variety. Although if it's not buried, it won't be much of a problem fixing a leak if one happens due to UV, either.

Last edited by jeffnc; 05-12-2014 at 07:43 AM.
jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 07:55 AM   #6
Demolition Mode

JEff,

My thought is to perhaps hook a toilet up in the future and I am not sure 3/4" line would be sufficient for that long of a run?
Old 05-12-2014, 08:05 AM   #7

Rewards Points: 2,548

That would be plenty. A toilet actually takes relatively little water when you consider the supply line to it is only 3/8".

Advertisement

jeffnc is offline   Reply With Quote