Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-29-2008, 06:04 PM   #1

Share |

Need to replace shower/tub valve

I believe I have a price pfister shower where the shower / tub switch valve is located at the faucet not on the tub water spout. The valve got stuck (not enough use, It is the spare bathroom and shower does not get used) I was able to get the valve out (had to drill it out), but now I cannot find the valve. It doesn't say anything anywhere as to the manufacturer, although there is the word Cobo and and a number stamped into the main faucet body (part behind the wall). The faucet is 10 years old and I can't find anyone who thinks this part exists. Can I plug it (the threads are in good shape. I just want to plug the open hole where valve was and then replace the spout with a tub/shower stopper. Any help here is appreciated.

Ken

KenDahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 07:48 PM   #2
35 YEAR MASTER PLUMBER

POST A PICTURE OF THE VALVE,
I DON'T UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU MEAN BY CAPPING YOUR SHOWER VALVE OFF ? ? ?

MACPLUMB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 07:54 PM   #3

Hi,

Your right, finding a part for that shower body might be tough as its so old, I would suggest going to Blackman or Furgerson and asking one of the "old timers" for the part.

OR

You could just replace the entire valve at this point, I would not suggest "make shifting" any type of water supply.

Just think if you "plug it" and then "run out" and then the plug lets go......your finished.

Here are the options I would recommend:

• Search and FIND that part asap
  • Replace the shower body yourself ( Only if you are comfortable 0
  • Hire A licensed Plumber to repair this.
That's just my opinion

Hope that helps !
Old 10-30-2008, 06:13 PM   #4

The price phistas in the crest catologue shows a three valve diverter. if so you could do what you described. but i doubt just any plug would fit. I would think it is a machine thread and not your standard pipe thread. If it is you would have to retap the diverter and no guaranty it would not leak. I agree with the others "change the valve"
plumcass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2008, 12:01 PM   #5

IF those are tapered pipe threads it would be okay to plug,,,if they are 'straight' non-tapered threads,BIGGER problem. You say the threads are okay,,,I never been able to remove forceably something that way without a FEW dings. Doesnt take MUCH to drip,,,, and drips leads to 'floods'
4just1don is offline   Reply With Quote