Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-03-2008, 11:24 AM   #1

Share |

Need to re-route plumbing in kitchen - advice needed

I gutted my kitchen for remodeling. As it happend, the previous owner placed the hot and cold water lines far from where the sink actually was and ran exposed lines along the perimeter of the wall where the line comes out from to the wall where the sink is. (they were in the cabinets essentially)

So I do not have to cut into our new cabinets I want to place the plumbing in the wall. So essentially what I would be doing is removing the current plumbing and then place new lines directly to the wall where the sink would be instead of where the are now.

However, where the kitchen is, running lines would be tricky as no basement is below it. At the same time, the previous owner has already ran a drain pipe where that wall is, so I know this is possible and I could probably follow the drain line to get to where I would like to go. (another reason to do this is because you can see the lines going into the basement at the trim of our living room)

So, not knowing very much at all about plumbing - especially dealing with copper - I would like some online / real book references that I could go to/pick up and read.

What are your suggested readings? more importanly, what are your tips?

Tools I would need?

In terms of my handyman skill - i would not say I know nothing, I know how to use what you would find in a tool box and I could probably tell you what tool is used for what job, but I would not be hired by a contractor either.
capslock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2008, 03:22 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to Marlin

Need to re-route plumbing in kitchen - advice needed

Your question is very vague.
From what I gather you have a basement but your kitchen is on a slab?
Can you see where the waste line enters the basement?
How far from the basement is your sink?
Are the now exposed lines on an outside or inside wall?
How far are they from where you want them?
Have the cabinets already been installed?
Pictures would also be helpful.

As far as working with copper goes you need to solder the joints. You need"
A cutter
Torch
Flux
Flux brush (any small cheap brush will do)
Cleaning cloth
Solder (95/5 or lead free)
A rag
For safety reasons:
A fire extinguisher is good to have handy
A small squirt bottle full of water is also good to have around. Wet any wood you'll be soldering close to. It's also good if you ignite some wood and don't want to resort right to a fire extinguisher which will make a mess.
A small piece of sheet metal is handy for sticking behind what your soldering to protect wood or whatever else may be behind it.

Last edited by Marlin; 04-03-2008 at 03:27 PM.
Marlin is offline   Reply With Quote