Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-06-2012, 02:35 PM   #1

Share |

Need options/ advice...

I'm new to the site and a novice DIYer... I recently replaced the kitchen countertop and sink (change from drop-in to undermount). I don't have pictures readily available so I'm going to try my best to describe my issue as clearly as possible. Being a novice, I didn't account for the lower settings before installing the sink. Basically, the metal pipe (which was set pretty high when the home was built) from the wall sits slightly below the bottom of the sink drain sothe water is not draining/ exiting properly. I also have a dishwasher so the water is sitting in the J pipe and overflowing from the hose connection of the tailpiece too. I tried an extension to the non-exit side of the j-pipe but it's too vertical for the water to properly flow out of the metal pipe. I'm trying to avoid hiring a plumber to lower the pipe (not even sure how much it would be but I can imagine it's not cheap) so I'm looking for alternatives hook ups. I'd appreciate ANY advice anyone can offer. I'm not too familiar with the plumbing terminology either so the more basic, the better. Thanks!

esco5710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:39 PM   #2

Need options/ advice...

Most often the wall needs to be opened up and the pipe coming up needs to be cut off to make it shorter and an elbow added.

Any idea what type pipe it is?

That picture would sure help.

joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 02:43 PM   #3

Need options/ advice...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joecaption View Post
Most often the wall needs to be opened up and the pipe coming up needs to be cut off to make it shorter and an elbow added.

Any idea what type pipe it is?

That picture would sure help.
Metal/ copper? the home was built in 1960s.

I will post a picture later tonight.
Old 11-06-2012, 03:42 PM   #4
DIY staff

Need options/ advice...

This happens all the time----you drain pipes are ,most likely,, galvanized steel---

this is the basic steps----'

open the wall around the drain

you will see a T- with one pipe heading down (drain) and one heading up (vent)

You will need to cut that out---get a couple of rubber 'Fernco' boots---then replace the m[ssing section using PVC piping----

a picture with the Cabinet back and wall opened up will get you exact directions.

What you don't want to see is the pipe coming into the cabinet horizontally from the left or right---

Still doable---but more work---
Old 11-07-2012, 07:20 AM   #5

Need options/ advice...

I took a cpl of photos of my set up. Again, any advice is really appreciated. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Need options/ advice...-image-1829229250.jpg   Need options/ advice...-image-446159769.jpg  
Old 11-07-2012, 07:37 AM   #6
DIY staff

Need options/ advice...

Open the wall and see what you have to deal with-----If you don't own a Multi-tool yet---consider buying a cheap one----Harbor Freight makes a cheap-o for about $20---and a good one that is on sale for around $40

once the piping is exposed the work is not complicated-----a saws-all with a hacksaw blade is what I use to cut out the old T and pipe----