Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 04-01-2009, 11:20 AM   #1

Share |
Question

Need Opinions about PEX

We're getting ready to plumb the new house and just found out about PEX. We were originally planning on using PVC but after reading about PEX (http://www.toolbase.org/Building-Sys...lyethylene-pex), it looks like it is superior on many fronts as well as affordable. I really don't want copper because of the expense and difficulty in installing it. However, today while continuing my research, I came across a lawsuit against Zurn for defective brass fittings (Zurn is the brand of PEX sold at Lowes).

I know there are members of the board who are experienced in plumbing. I would appreciate your opinions on this product.

Specifically:
**I was also wondering about the different brands of PEX that I've found online. Are there some that better than others? If so, which ones?

**Which type of fitting would you recommend for a residential system? I understand there are expansion fitting with a compression ring of PEX or metal, barbed fittings that are crimped on, or stainless steel clamp fittings (DH liked this one but I'm thinking it will be too expensive). Are other brands better than Zurn? Was the lawsuit related problem (dezincification of the brass) specific to the Zurn fittings or applicable to all brass fittings?

**Any pros or cons about this plumbing material will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

techinstructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 11:32 AM   #2
Remodeling Contractor

Need Opinions about PEX

I use Viega by Stadler. No leaks or problems in 12 years of installations. Uses a ver heavy duty bass barbed fittings with a positive locking crimping tool. Only brand I know of with major issues is Zurn.

Bob Mariani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 12:01 PM   #3

Need Opinions about PEX

I just placed a 1200 Pex order for Uponor products. That's my opinion on it
BimmerRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 12:23 PM   #4
HVAC / Plumbing

Need Opinions about PEX

I guess we'll know how good it is in about 50 yrs.. That being said.. I use it & most new homes around here are plumbed with it
kenmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 12:26 PM   #5
Remodeling Contractor

Need Opinions about PEX

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenmac View Post
I guess we'll know how good it is in about 50 yrs.. That being said.. I use it & most new homes around here are plumbed with it
Viega has been around since 1899. They sold pex for 30 years now. Even copper was not around much longer.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:32 AM   #6

Need Opinions about PEX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Mariani View Post
Viega has been around since 1899. They sold pex for 30 years now. Even copper was not around much longer.
Copper has been around for over two thousand years.
UFoPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 11:17 AM   #7
Water quality'n pump guy

Need Opinions about PEX

And in many areas of the US, a copper roof wouldn't last but a few years because of acid rain. Brass and bronze can't stand up to acid rain.

The same is true of copper water lines with acidic (low pH) water, a few years and it has pinhole leaks. And acidic water isn't the only cause of pinholes in copper tubing.

Plastics are inert and nothing in water can harm them.
Gary Slusser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 11:28 AM   #8
Remodeling Contractor

Need Opinions about PEX

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFoPilot View Post
Copper has been around for over two thousand years.
not for residential plubing, many old houses still have galvanized pipes. The point is to address the original poster, PEX is good!
Old 04-13-2009, 12:11 PM   #9
Civil Engineer

Need Opinions about PEX

I have been very happy with Wirsbo (Uponor) PEX. I bought the special tool for their expansion fittings, you can rent it but if you have a lot of work it makes sense to pay the several hundred dollars for it. That said, I used to use brass Wirsbo fittings, I have switched to their plastic fittings (made of polysulfone). The brass ones were more expensive, and I had concerns about leakage (see problems Zurn has had). Absolutely no problems over the last five years with Wirsbo PEX, seems to be a good product, much easier to work with than copper.
Daniel Holzman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 01:26 PM   #10

Need Opinions about PEX

Copper tubes for conveying water were first used about the year 2750 BC.
http://www.eurocopper.org/copper/plumbing-heating.html
I wonder if PEX will be around that long? Don't get me wrong, PEX might be great, but MANY new things have all come and gone. PEX is a new thing. In thirty years will there be some other new thing?
UFoPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2009, 03:12 PM   #11
Safe, Most of the Time!!

Need Opinions about PEX

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFoPilot View Post
Copper tubes for conveying water were first used about the year 2750 BC.
http://www.eurocopper.org/copper/plumbing-heating.html
I wonder if PEX will be around that long? Don't get me wrong, PEX might be great, but MANY new things have all come and gone. PEX is a new thing. In thirty years will there be some other new thing?
I think you are taking what Bob said out of context. Yes copper was used during the Roman Empire, so was led. I believe Bob was talking about modern plumbing.

Technology is moving faster now than it ever has; will pex be around in thirty years, who knows. Things are always improving and being replaced as something better comes along. Just because led was used in plumbing for thousands of years does that mean it should not have been replaced?

edit: I am a big fan of pex.

Picture/Photo Pitcher/Carafe ------- Where/Someplace Were/Be

Last edited by brokenknee; 04-13-2009 at 03:19 PM.
brokenknee is offline   Reply With Quote