Forums | Home Repair | Home Improvement | Painting | Interior Decorating | Remodeling | Landscaping

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 05-02-2008, 08:51 AM   #1

Share |

Need to move around plumbing for vanity....

I removed an old wall and put a new wall back 2 feet in my bathroom....the vanity sink is on this wall so I have to move the plumbing back the same 2 feet to go up the new wall. I have three questions:

1-What is the easiest way to make very slight bends in 1/2 copper pipe? I have to bend it probably less then 20 degrees at a couple points to get it to line up perfectly.

2-The current drain pipe for the sink is about 1 3/4 inch copper, which I have to extend two feet to get to the new wall. Can I just cut this drain pipe at the point under the floor right after the 90 degree bend (this bend brings the downpipe that goes up the wall to the horizontal pipe that is in the floor and goes to the main stack) and then just use a piece of pvc and two of those rubber clamps to extend the drain the two feet I need? The home depot near me doesn't even have any copper that is that big and frankly it would be alot easier to use those rubber clamps to "section" a piece in.

3-THe vanity sink does not have its own vent....it apparently shares the vent with the main stack that it is connected to (which is about a 4-5 foot run under the floor until it gets there). Needless to say, often times after using the sink you can hear the pipes "gargle" under the floor because of the lack of vent. Is there anyway to cheat this or fix this without running its own dedicated vent?

Thanks for all the help and replies...these forums have been so helpful!
AllGoNoShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 09:20 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllGoNoShow View Post
I removed an old wall and put a new wall back 2 feet in my bathroom....the vanity sink is on this wall so I have to move the plumbing back the same 2 feet to go up the new wall. I have three questions:

1-What is the easiest way to make very slight bends in 1/2 copper pipe? I have to bend it probably less then 20 degrees at a couple points to get it to line up perfectly.
You can sometimes bend copper pipe a little bit with a conduit bender, but the better way (especially since you're talking about pipe that's already installed, right?) is to sweat in the appropriate copper fittings (45s or whatever you need) to direct the supply lines to the new location. Trying to bend the existing lines to move them 2 feet sounds like more trouble and potential problems. If you don't know how to sweat pipes, this is the perfect opportunity to learn. Get a scrap piece of pipe and some fittings, and you'll have it down after doing a handful of attempts.

Quote:
2-The current drain pipe for the sink is about 1 3/4 inch copper, which I have to extend two feet to get to the new wall. Can I just cut this drain pipe at the point under the floor right after the 90 degree bend (this bend brings the downpipe that goes up the wall to the horizontal pipe that is in the floor and goes to the main stack) and then just use a piece of pvc and two of those rubber clamps to extend the drain the two feet I need? The home depot near me doesn't even have any copper that is that big and frankly it would be alot easier to use those rubber clamps to "section" a piece in.
Again, you're trying to mickey-mouse this, instead of just doing the proper, and simpler solution. Your Home Depot will have copper sweat-to-threaded adapters for that size copper pipe. (I'd bet your pipe is actually 1.5", which has a slightly larger O.D.). Get a 1.5" sweat to 1.5" male or female NPT. Cut the drain pipe below the floor. Sweat on the adapter. Then when it's cool thread on a PVC NPT adapter, and assemble your PVC drain components as necessary to get the drain to the right place.
NateHanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 09:50 AM   #3

Nate's giving excellent advice. I wouldn't even bother trying to bend copper pipe though. You're likely going to do more harm than good.

As for the drain, do exactly what Nate says with the transition to PVC. If you can't manage that, a Furnco connector (rubber sleeve with two hose clamps) will get the job done. I'd use that as a last resort. Better off to learn to sweat pipe...It is EASY...Don't be intimidated by it. Just practice a few times first.

The gurgling is because the sink is trying to vent through its trap. You can get what is called a Studor vent and install that when you re-do the drain. It is an air-admittance vent that lets air in but doesn't let sewer gas out. It will go somewhere behind the sink on a vertical PVC pipe that you'll install, but must not be concealed within a wall where it isn't accessible and can't breath. They're typically installed at or near the drain level of the sink in the vanity behind the sink. Follow the instructions!
Termite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2008, 06:13 PM   #4

I agre with both Nate and thekctermite

All I can add is don't cheat - do what you have to or you will regret it later
jbhandyman is offline   Reply With Quote