Need To Make A Drain - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 06-13-2012, 10:51 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Need to Make a Drain

Hello,

About 2 weeks ago I remodeled our bathroom, and one of the consequences of this remodel was that the new sink is about 6" to the right (looking at it) of the previous one. Unfortunately, neither myself nor my father-in-law were able to remove the nut that keeps the elbow (coming out of the wall) sealed to the drain. As a consequence, I am forced to use the 1-1/4" elbow.

Because of this I have a 1-1/4" PVC trap that needs to connect to the 1-1/4" sink drain. Currently satisfying this role is a 1-1/4" pipe coming out of the trap which has been caulked into a 1-1/2" elbow (using one of those size reducing washers, thread tape, and both sides of the nut caulked) that connects the straight pipe and the sink drain.

As you might imagine, this isn't working very well! The caulking holds for a few days, but eventually the water sitting in the horizontal/bottom part of the elbow works its way out.

I have tried to find non-scheduled, 1-1/4" elbows to replace the 1-1/2", but everything I find at the hardware store is schedule 40 or 80. I am about to try and find 1-1/4" ID tubing to bridge the gap...heck, I'm about ready to use garden hose if it'll work!

If anyone has any ideas or knows where I can find/make the right tools, I would really appreciate it!

Thank you for you time and help,

Ben

Advertisement

BenjaminE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:08 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Need to Make a Drain

A picture might be worth a thousand words here.

Advertisement

TopTechnician is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 06:40 PM   #3

Need to Make a Drain

When I got home with what I assumed would solve all of my problems, I was disappointed to discover two things: first, 90 degree elbows should have their vertical (if exists) component facing downward; and, second, the pipe coming from my wall comes out (see pictures).

Pictures: http://www.ohio.edu/people/be173805/.../plumbing.html

Based on the pictures, my questions are:

1) Can I replace the 1-1/4" chrome/copper pipe with a 1-1/4" pvc pipe by just sliding it into the hole in the wall, or do I need to remove that nut? If I have to remove the nut, can I cut it off and replace because it isn't budging!

2) If I can't just slide a pvc pipe in, can I just slide a chrome/copper pipe in?

3) Finally, should I use some plumber's putty around that nut if I just slide a pipe in there?

I appreciate any QUICK feedback as this is our only bathroom and we've been limping on Frankenstein drains for over a week now! Thanks again!

Ben
Old 06-13-2012, 06:49 PM   #4
Plumber/Contractor

Rewards Points: 2,600

Need to Make a Drain

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminE View Post
When I got home with what I assumed would solve all of my problems, I was disappointed to discover two things: first, 90 degree elbows should have their vertical (if exists) component facing downward; and, second, the pipe coming from my wall comes out (see pictures).

Pictures: http://www.ohio.edu/people/be173805/.../plumbing.html

Based on the pictures, my questions are:

1) Can I replace the 1-1/4" chrome/copper pipe with a 1-1/4" pvc pipe by just sliding it into the hole in the wall, or do I need to remove that nut? If I have to remove the nut, can I cut it off and replace because it isn't budging!

2) If I can't just slide a pvc pipe in, can I just slide a chrome/copper pipe in?

3) Finally, should I use some plumber's putty around that nut if I just slide a pipe in there?

I appreciate any QUICK feedback as this is our only bathroom and we've been limping on Frankenstein drains for over a week now! Thanks again!

Ben
You must get the nut off. Not really any way around it. Heat it some with a torch.
Plastic tubing and the chromed brass are the same OD so either will work once the nut is off
Old 06-13-2012, 07:12 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 634

Need to Make a Drain

I would never heat it that close to the wall.
A Dremal tool with a cut off wheel or an ossilating saw will cut the nut in half and a few taps with a chisle will knock it off.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 07:14 PM   #6

Need to Make a Drain

If I have to cut it off (worst case), is there a best practice for doing so? What type of nut would I be looking for to replace it?

Thanks,

Ben
Old 06-13-2012, 07:16 PM   #7

Need to Make a Drain

Thanks, Joe, I just hit submit when your post showed up! Any advice on replacing? Do I need a plastic washer/reducer when I do?
Old 06-13-2012, 08:16 PM   #8
Plumber/Contractor

Need to Make a Drain

Whether you heat it or cut it. Don't damage the male threads.
it wont do any good to replace the nut because you're to far to the side of the tailpiece to fit the trap. You'll have to use a 45 or 22 to redirect and line up to the tailpiece.
Alan (06-14-2012)
Old 06-14-2012, 07:32 AM   #9

Need to Make a Drain

I was able to get the nut off very easily with a little bit of heat from the heat gun. I had a few different pieces lying around and I was able to put the drain in the attachment together. I haven't pasted it together, so it won't be much to change...but hopefully it is good enough.

Ben
Attached Images

Old 06-14-2012, 09:54 AM   #10
Plumber/Contractor

Need to Make a Drain

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEplumber View Post
Whether you heat it or cut it. Don't damage the male threads.
it wont do any good to replace the nut because you're to far to the side of the tailpiece to fit the trap. You'll have to use a 45 or 22 to redirect and line up to the tailpiece.
Or use an illegal flex tailpiece like in your picture...
Old 06-14-2012, 10:28 AM   #11
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Need to Make a Drain

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenjaminE View Post
I was able to get the nut off very easily with a little bit of heat from the heat gun. I had a few different pieces lying around and I was able to put the drain in the attachment together. I haven't pasted it together, so it won't be much to change...but hopefully it is good enough.

Ben
Get that flex line off of there, and use a real fitting at the wall.

I also don't know what you mean by "pasted it together" but don't do that, because it's not necessary.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:00 AM   #12
Bill Kearney

Rewards Points: 1,126

Need to Make a Drain

Yeah, flex line get nasty, quick. You're going to see that sink getting clogged up a lot sooner than it would with proper connections.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to wkearney99 For This Useful Post:
VIPlumber (06-15-2012)
Old 06-14-2012, 11:23 AM   #13

Need to Make a Drain

Makes sense about the flex pipe being a crud collector. So I have no doubt that using an angle out of the wall to place the trap directly under the sink is the best way to go, but where do I find 1-1/4" OD fittings? I've looked at all of our local hardware stores and they don't carry crap for 1-1/4" OD fittings except those junky size reducing washers they have so you can connect 1-1/4" OD inside of a 1-1/2" OD fitting.

Do they make 1-1/2" to 1-1/4" adapters so that I could have a bit of 1-1/4" coming out of the wall and the rest being a 1-1/2" system?

By the way, thank you for all you've helped so far--I really appreciate that I can see the light at the end!
Old 06-14-2012, 09:05 PM   #14
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

Need to Make a Drain

You may need to thread an adapter onto the adapter that's already there. . . .

Around here we are only allowed 1 slip joint on the outlet of a trap, but they do make 45* slip joint fittings. I'd rather use one of those than that funky flex garbage.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:17 PM   #15

Need to Make a Drain

Gotcha! I'm gonna have a more thorough look around some of the smaller hardware stores and see what I can find.

On a separate note, any reason why there is a slight trickle on the threads immediately under the sink (where the large nut and rubber washer are)? It's really slight right now, but I worry it'll only get worse over time.

Ben

Advertisement