Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 11-23-2012, 02:41 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Need to increase water pressure

I NEED INFORMATIONAL HELP!!!

I need to increase my water pressure throughout my house. I have a ranch house with 4 baths, 2 hot water heaters. I recentle replumbed the house with 3/4" pvc pipe supply lines, with 1/4" lines to the fixtures.
I have a 1/2hp shallow well pump, and a storage tank with 17 gal. draw down. My pump is set at 40-60. my pick up from the bottom of my cistrin to pump is about 7 ft.

Pressure befor I converted from 1/2" copper through the house was minimal at best. With the new pvc, while I have more supply the pressure is worse.

I would like to boost the pressue up to get a nice stimulating shower, when others use water else where in house, by the least expensive method, if one exists.

My pump is about 4 yrs old, pressure tank is about 20, but doesnt leak
and doesnt loose pressue.

Would a new pressure switch with higher setting do the trick, or do I need something else???

Please help me out, the kids will be home for Christmas and showers watch OUT!!

tsperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 03:14 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 2,188

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsperry View Post
I NEED INFORMATIONAL HELP!!!

I need to increase my water pressure throughout my house. I have a ranch house with 4 baths, 2 hot water heaters. I recentle replumbed the house with 3/4" pvc pipe supply lines, with 1/4" lines to the fixtures.
I have a 1/2hp shallow well pump, and a storage tank with 17 gal. draw down. My pump is set at 40-60. my pick up from the bottom of my cistrin to pump is about 7 ft.

Pressure befor I converted from 1/2" copper through the house was minimal at best. With the new pvc, while I have more supply the pressure is worse.

I would like to boost the pressue up to get a nice stimulating shower, when others use water else where in house, by the least expensive method, if one exists.

My pump is about 4 yrs old, pressure tank is about 20, but doesnt leak
and doesnt loose pressue.

Would a new pressure switch with higher setting do the trick, or do I need something else???

Please help me out, the kids will be home for Christmas and showers watch OUT!!
I really hope you are wrong about your plumbing..1 st you should of use cpvc pipe..not pvc..2nd 3/4 main line good.. 1/4" to fixtures...bad...hope you mean 1/2"..as far as pressure go's 40/60 not bad.. was a gpm done to size pump...to see what the well will deliver...

ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:08 PM   #3

Rewards Points: 3,144

Agreed.
Did you remove the shower head and faucet aerators after you got done with the plumbing to flush out the lines?
Not sure how you can have more flow with less pressure.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:59 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 500

must change from 1/4 inch back to 1/2 inch..too much restriction = mega pressure drop..you can increase press at tank control but results will be minimal if in fact you ran 1/4 inch to fixtures
techpappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:07 PM   #5

Rewards Points: 2,188

tsperry were you go
ben's plumbing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:14 PM   #6
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,384

He's headed to the store for parts----
Old 11-24-2012, 04:27 AM   #7
JOATMON

Rewards Points: 2,320

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh'mike View Post
He's headed to the store for parts----
I'm more inclined to think 'too embarassed'.

My 2-Story Addition Build in Progress Link ... My Garage Build Link and My Jeep Build Link
ddawg16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 07:42 AM   #8

Rewards Points: 2,026

How old is the house? Could the pipes have arteriosclerosis resulting in much reduced pressure when you turn faucets on high?

Get a portable gauge to measure the pressure at various faucets and to see whether there are losses along the way. It is rare to need more than 40 PSI as a minimum or pump turn on pressure; for that you need something like 55 to 60 PSI as the maximum or pump turn off pressure.

Is the pressure tank properly calibrated? If you don't have specific instructions, try this: turn off the pump, open a cold faucet, and wait until the water stops. Pressurize the tank to slightly below the pump turn on pressure. Now close the faucet and turn the pump back on.

Any additional storage tanks downstream of the pump must also be pressurized. (Otherwise water will never come out of them which means they don't function as storage tanks.) While waiting for the water to drain to calibrate the pressure tank, each storage tank must have at least 5 PSI maintained at its top air valve so it too empties out. Then repressurize each storage tank to slightly below pump turn on pressure before turning the water back on.

Last edited by AllanJ; 11-24-2012 at 07:53 AM.
AllanJ is offline   Reply With Quote