Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 10-17-2010, 04:06 PM   #1

Share |

Need ideas and advice for small bathroom remodel

I live in a 70 year old southern style house with 3" thick hardwood floors on 2x10 floor joists 12" on center, 2x6 studs in interior walls, 8" studs for exterior walls and 2x10 roof framing. Very well built, I think I have more wood than most national forests, but very dated. Cast iron tub in bathroom that looks icky.

It has 8'-0" ceiling and no windows.

When remodeling everything will be new back to the bare stud walls. All new plumbing, some of it is very old and looks like original sch. 40 galvanized drain lines, so everything will be new.

Here's the basic dimensions.

I've played around with it but I can't seem to make it all fit without having it look like a homeowners remodel.

As noted the door can not be moved without great expense but if I had to I could move it 1'-0" to the right.

Now let's talk about tankless hot water heaters.

I had the electric completely remodeled a few years ago and have plenty of electric available and it is very close by. No problem getting 40 amps. I would love a tankless because it would completely free up a closet (in older houses closet space seems to be at a premium) I could use for other things.

The problem is I have heard tankless electric water heaters don't heat water as hot as many like but my thinking on that is if it isn't hot enough then it's not sized big enough. Am I right?

All we have is a single bathroom and kitchen. This is our retirement home and just two of us live here.

Getting older I really want the jacuzzi tub.

Anyone have any suggestions or thoughts?

Thanks.

nicet4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 04:21 PM   #2

I would consider a more standard tub (60x34) with jets and a shower head, free up more space for the vanity and maybe some storage. You could put tub and water closet on the long wall, build a wall for tub/shower valve and put the wc on the other side of it. That would probably give you room for a cabinet behind the door

the_man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 04:48 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_man View Post
I would consider a more standard tub (60x34) with jets and a shower head, free up more space for the vanity and maybe some storage. You could put tub and water closet on the long wall, build a wall for tub/shower valve and put the wc on the other side of it. That would probably give you room for a cabinet behind the door
Yeah, try as I could I couldn't fit a shower. Looks like I will have to go the standard tub with jets and shower head.
nicet4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:46 AM   #4
Stuck in the 70's

A couple of things you may or may not have thought about:

A lot of jetted tubs tend to be drop in models. If you are going with a shower head above a jetted tub, look for a tub with flanges.

Second, since this is your retirement home, I would give serious thought to handicapped accessible features; grab bars, wider doorway etc. You never know what the future may hold.

Last edited by Blondesense; 10-18-2010 at 10:48 AM.
Blondesense is offline   Reply With Quote