DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum

DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum (
-   Plumbing (
-   -   Need to ID Gate Valve (Please Help) (

MikeGV 10-02-2010 07:23 PM

Need to ID Gate Valve (Please Help)
Hello Everyone! This is my first post - I have been reading the forum for a while now.

The water shut-off gate valve coming in to my house is broken internally. I noticed it was broken when I tried to shut it off and it spun freely with no resistance.

I realize there are tons of Gate Valve manufactureres. I am hoping (Fingers Crossed) that someone recognizes this brand.

Internally the gate has snapped off of the worm gear that the gate rides on. FYI - I have the snapped off "gate" sitting here at my was obviously not reinstalled when I put screwed the handle back into the valve body.

I have attached an image and I am hoping that someone will be able to identify the manufacturer from experience etc. There is no "name" on the unit.

This valve being is not a major issue, as the city shut-off is about 20' away and it works fine. The valve the city has on the street is a nice and smooth operating ball valve. Everywhere checked (i.e. plumbing shops), everyone's input is to get a ball valve... which I would certainly do if I ever needed to have this valve professionally replaced.

For now, I would like to find a replacement gate/handle assembly but I cannot find a "matching" gate valve installed locally.

I live in Tucson and my house was built (in a subdivided neighborhood) in 1999. The builder was Kauffman & Broad (KB home). I have not contacted KB Home to ask who the original plumbing sub was..and not sure they'd tell me.

Thanks in advance for reading, experience, and input!

PS - If the pictures doesn't display below I have also hsted it on FlickR:

TheEplumber 10-02-2010 07:31 PM

199 Attachment(s)
I really want to tell you to replace the valve, but I won't:wink:
Remove the nut from the handle and look for a thin metal washer. If there, clean the paint off of it. It might tell you what you need to know.

kenmac 10-02-2010 09:18 PM

Possibly an old zurn branded valve..Possibly out dated mod.. You would be ahead to just replace with ball valve

LateralConcepts 10-04-2010 11:02 AM

I agree with the kenmac. Replace it with a new ball valve.

Honestly, I think I could have replaced it with a new one quicker than it took you to create such an extravagant post.. :whistling2:

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:17 AM.

vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1