Need Help With Washer Drain/Can Of Worms - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-02-2008, 08:20 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 500

Need Help With Washer Drain/Can of Worms

I pulled the wall out in the basement and found this can of worms. The drain pipe just above the p trap was rotted, so I decided to cut it off. When I did the bottom part where it threads in was rotted also and the pipe just came out with the vibration of the reciprocating saw. My question, how can this be repaired, the bottom of the pipe seems to bee good, I poured water down and it drains. How can I repair this, the bottom seems to be 3 inc, and above the ptrap, which is the vent is 2 inc. Ron where are you?? Thanks guys.
Attached Thumbnails
Need Help With Washer Drain/Can of Worms-drain-1.jpg   Need Help With Washer Drain/Can of Worms-drain-3.jpg   Need Help With Washer Drain/Can of Worms-drain-4.jpg   Need Help With Washer Drain/Can of Worms-drain-5.jpg   Need Help With Washer Drain/Can of Worms-drain-6.jpg  

Advertisement

Last edited by helpless handyman; 02-02-2008 at 08:54 PM.
helpless handyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 09:22 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 75

Cut the tee out, put a 2" no hub band on on the reamaining nipple and a 2" x 1 1/2 no hub band on the pipe above and reconnect the dots in PVC. Also put a new 2" pvc p-trap in.

In the diagram below visualize the black pipe as your galvanized pipe. Same concept.

Parts:
- 2" DWV pvc pipe
- 2" pvc sanitary tee
- 2" pvc p-trap
- 2" no hub band
- 2" x 1 1/2" no hub band
- pvc glue

Advertisement

Last edited by dyier; 02-02-2008 at 09:36 PM.
dyier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 09:40 PM   #3

dyier, the bottom of the tee is larger than 2inc, seems like 3 inc pipe and above tee its 2 inc.**If you look at the top part of the tee, it has a bushing to reduce the 3 inc to 2inc. I believe I can't get 3 inc pvc? **The bottom of the tee is definately 3 inc.**Thanks

Last edited by helpless handyman; 02-02-2008 at 09:43 PM.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:02 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by helpless handyman View Post
dyier, the bottom of the tee is larger than 2inc, seems like 3 inc pipe and above tee its 2 inc.**If you look at the top part of the tee, it has a bushing to reduce the 3 inc to 2inc. I believe I can't get 3 inc pvc? **The bottom of the tee is definately 3 inc.**Thanks
I'm sorry, then use a 3" x 2" no hub band on the bottom and a 2" no hub band on the top pipe and plumb in between in 2" DWV pvc pipe and fittings.

Just make sure you cut the old tee out right below it to save that little bit of 3" to accept the 3" x 2" band.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:14 PM   #5

Thanks, eventually I am going to frame that back wall but not know. How high should that p trap be, it's going to be a washer drain? Also I would like to add that waste and water line gizmo, the one that brings the water lines and the drain concealed in a square plastic.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:12 PM   #6

You are limited to what you have, so off the tee I would run your horizontal run then p-trap far enough over so a washer box won't hit the vent pipe. You should have between 18" to 24" of verticle stand pipe off the p-trap wether or not you use the box to put your washing machine discharge hose in.
Old 02-02-2008, 11:26 PM   #7

Thanks dyier, I got it I will go to the plumbing place tomorrow. Also how high from the floor should the ptrap be?
Old 02-02-2008, 11:35 PM   #8
Journeyman Plumber

Rewards Points: 1,000

Min 6" to bottom of trap off the floor.

2008 Oregon Specialty Plumbing Codes
Ron The Plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2008, 11:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Thanks dyier, I got it I will go to the plumbing place tomorrow. Also how high from the floor should the ptrap be?
Just have enough pvc on the bottom of your new pvc tee to fit all the way into the new no hub band should be plenty good.

I would cut the old out first then go buy your new parts. If by chance you loosen the nipple going into the hub when cutting do not panic. It is an old lead joint. Just take an old dull chisel and hammer and hammer down the old lead around the inside of the hub. You most likely will not have that problem, but hey, it's plumbing.

Last edited by dyier; 02-02-2008 at 11:43 PM.
Old 02-03-2008, 07:51 PM   #10

Thanks guys, everything went well, or should I say this went well. Got to cut it below the tee, and install everything. Now I have a serious problem, that same pipe (vent) swings around the corner wall, then goes another 5 ft and ties into a 2 inc stack. That same stack goes down into the basement concrete slab. On the floor next to the concrete, the pipe has rotted. 3 feet from there in another 2 inc pipe that suppose to be the basement sink drain, same problem pipe is rotted on the concrete floor. Never saw this coming, basement was finished when I purchashed. My question, next weekend I am going to attempt to jack hammer the concrete floor to see how far down this pipe is bad. Can it be replaced with pvc? Also, when finishing the floor with concrete, will it harm the pvc pipe? Should I try to cut a piece of the 4 inc stack in the ground and replace with PVC and use no hub fittings? This has me worried...Thanks guys, this has really become a can of worms

Last edited by helpless handyman; 02-03-2008 at 07:54 PM.
Old 02-03-2008, 08:04 PM   #11
Journeyman Plumber

Quote:
My question, next weekend I am going to attempt to jack hammer the concrete floor to see how far down this pipe is bad. Can it be replaced with pvc? Also, when finishing the floor with concrete, will it harm the pvc pipe? Should I try to cut a piece of the 4 inc stack in the ground and replace with PVC and use no hub fittings? This has me worried...Thanks guys, this has really become a can of worms

Yes you can use pvc pipe.

Protect the pipe with some type of pipe wrap so cement will not be in contact with it.

I'd see how far the pipe is bad and then decide after you get to that point.

Old 02-03-2008, 08:10 PM   #12

Thanks, will do What type of pipe wrap should I use? Where can I purchase it?
Old 02-03-2008, 08:49 PM   #13
Journeyman Plumber

Foam pipe wrap, get it at any plumbing supply house.

Advertisement