Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 02-06-2010, 12:08 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 10

Need help with toilet to flange problem if raising flooring

I want to tile my bathroom floor. The current floor is lineolum over pressboard thats 1/2 inch. Normally I would just take up the pressboard, but the tub is also sitting on it. The area is small 5'x5' not counting the tub. First I thought about using a Multimaster or edge saw but what about the edge against the tub (damaging tub surface, and also lack of tube support)? So I thought maybe I should just remove the lineolum, put down some 1/4 Hardie Backer board and 1/4 tile. So I figure that it would raise the floor 5/8". What can I do about the toilet to flange connection. Do they make a good quailty seal for this situation? I'm also concerned about the extra rise when stepping from the hallway into the bathroom because of the extra 5/8".

Please advise on what you think I should do? Do you think it would be safe to remove the flooring up to the tub with Multimaster, will the tub edge still be supported properly? Should I also put down a membrain of some sort under the Hardie backer board?

Thanks for the advise

Riverjamie.

riverjamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 04:55 PM   #2
Doing it myself

Rewards Points: 2,024
Send a message via AIM to Alan Send a message via MSN to Alan

They make what if I remember correctly is a closet flange riser kit. Basically it's round pieces of plastic the same size as a flange face. You stack them on top and seal them together with liquid nails or something similar, then screw them together until they come out to the proper height.

Old 02-06-2010, 06:36 PM   #3

Alan, thanks for the feedback. I'll do a web search.
Old 02-06-2010, 09:51 PM   #4

ok here is my suggestion. first get rid of the press board. not for the sake of your flange but for the sake of your tile. cut it near the tub like you stated. as far as supporting the tub you need to see which way the joists run. if they run parallel with the long length of your tub you need to install header boards or blocking between joists. if they run (when you are looking at the tub side) toward you, then you are good to go on support. tear all the press board out. the press board may run under the wall plates as well so you may have to do the same thing like you did on the tub (cut against). once you get everything up install tongue and grove plywood, 5/8's minimum. if there is nothing underneath the press board then go 3/4. do everything it says to do when working with durok or the like with tile underlayment. thinset under it and the works. i have seen to many assumptions that lead to disaster when it comes to steadiness under tile floors. nothing worse than looking at job well done, only later it becomes a cracking, bucking mess. remember grout is porous. now on the flange. i agree with the above post. there are a lot of options available to you. some of the extensions i've used worked well on certain application and some not so great. i could go into detail but it would take a long time. and lastly the threshold between hall and bath. you generally don't want to trip on the way in. depending after installation if you are within 3/4 they have step up thresholds of many shapes and sizes. hope this helps =)
Austinmv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 08:33 AM   #5

Rewards Points: 1,000

What you need are called Flange Extenders. They are plastic and are required to be screwed down through the flooring. Available in different thicknesses.
Old 02-13-2010, 10:16 AM   #6

Again thank you to all for the feedback
Old 02-13-2010, 12:01 PM   #7

Rewards Points: 252

I have had bad experiences with the flange extenders. Yes, you screw them down through the existing flange to the sub floor but they do not seal themselves. You need to find a way to seal them to the existing flange. I speak from experience, it is nearly impossible to make a permanent seal. You are much better off to use a thicker wax ring or two standard wax rings. It is no coincidence the closet bolts are long enough to handle an extra 1 1/2".

Rege
RegeSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 12:23 PM   #8
DIY staff

Rewards Points: 2,358

Listen to Rege---seldom is a plastic flange extender needed--A wax extender ring (sometime with a little extra added from a standard ring) is usually all that is needed.
oh'mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2010, 01:21 PM   #9

Rewards Points: 1,000

Flange extenders provide a solid surface, wax doesn't. Depending on a wax seal to hold if the toilet needs plunged, is "iffy" at best. The longer the bolts, the more chance for the bowl to slide or otherwise move. I have never been a fan of doubling up on wax seals, since most DIYers will not place the bowl straight down, and this allows one of the seals to slide over and block the discharge. I agree that the extenders need to be sealed (between the original flange) and I use silicone caulk for this.
Old 02-13-2010, 02:19 PM   #10

Rewards Points: 252

Interesting thought about the wax ring blowing out. I have never seen that happen. Unless the wax ring was pretty hot for some reason it is hard to imagine producing enough pressure to blow it out with a plunger so I must respectfully disagree with the idea that there is a reasonable chance of that happening - but anything is possible. I know of more than one hotel remodel that involved raising the bathroom floor where doubled wax rings were used and there were no problems to speak of, at least not with leaking wax rings. Hotel and motel commodes get their fair share of plunger use.

Regarding setting the commode straight down, I agree 100%. I learned a little trick setting a used, older, really heavy toilet a while back. Cut three wedges, put two on the sides tward the back of the flange with the thin part facing tward the wall and one in front. Line up the toilet and work the wedges out slowly and evenly. It is a little time consuming but it works.

Rege

RegeSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote