Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 07-03-2012, 11:25 AM   #1

Share |

Need help with replacing leaky, rusting outdoor faucet, please.

I have an old outdoor faucet that is leaking. It was just dripping from the hose bib opening, but since my son tried to remove the nut right under the handle (without success) to get to the washer replaced, it is now also leaking slightly from the pipe it is connected to. This spigot is is connected to the cold water pipe that runs to the washing machine. The pipe to the washing machine is copper, but I think the pipe that the faucet it's hooked to is regular (galvanized?) steel. The inside wall is unfinished (no drywall because the washing machine is in a utility area off the garage). I think it's probably welded in so we can't just unscrew the entire faucet. I can't afford to pay a plumber. Do you have suggestions?
Thank you so much.
Nina

Need help with replacing leaky, rusting outdoor faucet, please.-outside-faucet-3-.jpg

Need help with replacing leaky, rusting outdoor faucet, please.-pipe.jpg

Need help with replacing leaky, rusting outdoor faucet, please.-faucet-2-.jpg

Nina2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:20 PM   #2

Nina,
Hard to tell from the bottom picture but see if there is silver solder around the joint where the pipe leading outside connects to the fitting with the ears on it. If not, it may unscrew.

bob22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:47 PM   #3
DIY staff

Nina--do you have a handy son or friend?

That pipe to the hose bib need to be unscrewed--

However--is could easily break off in the brass fitting---

So whoever does the job should be equipped with soldering equipment just in case it breaks.
Old 07-03-2012, 07:47 PM   #4

Mike is right. You may need some help here.

If you want to try again from outside:
1. Turn off water
2. 2 screws screwed into house hold valve in place. If rusty could snap.
3. Place a good plumber's wrench (with flat grips, not the kind with teeth) on same nut son tried.
4. To be safe, another similar but bigger wrench should be put on the flat spots of the valve, right near where 2 screws into house are. Don't turn this one, just hold so it doesn't move while trying to turn nut counterclockwise.
diyorpay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:49 PM   #5
sacramento plumber

Location: born and raised in San mateo ca. living in Sacramento Ca for 3 years now.

hopefully those washing machine hoses are accessible after h/b is removed/repaired
wctekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 10:51 PM   #6
sacramento plumber

Location: born and raised in San mateo ca. living in Sacramento Ca for 3 years now.

never mind looks like that is the washing machine
wctekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2012, 07:58 AM   #7

Thank you for all of the responses!

So what I'm understanding is that the pipe that connects into the pipes that run to the washing machine and also goes out to the hose bib is what needs to be replaced? ( Which makes sense because it looks like it's rusting, because the drip that is now running down the outside of the wall is rusty.) If so, it either screws in or is soldered in. If it's soldered in then will it have to be cut to be removed and then a new one would need to be soldered in. If I'm correct in my understanding, I have some more questions.

1. Where do we cut the pipe?
2. Do you use the same kind of solder that is used for electricity (which is the only experience my son has had with soldering).
3. Do you actually get a replacement piece of pipe that slips inside wherever it is cut off and then solder around it?

The guy at a particular store told me that the pipe could be cut and some new contraption (can't remember the name) could be fitted on it without soldering it at all. Do you know what I'm talking about and would that actually work?

Thanks!
Nina

Last edited by Nina2; 07-04-2012 at 08:00 AM. Reason: Edited profile instead of adding location into reply message.
Old 07-04-2012, 09:27 PM   #8
Bill Kearney

Thanks for the pix, those help a lot.

FIRST THING before disconnecting anything is turn off the water to that spigot. If there's not a shut off just for that then turn off the whole house valve.

The spigot is on the outside of the wall from that tee, correct? If so then there's not enough room for solderless 'shark bite' kind of connectors.

See that bracket on the back of the tee? Notice the screw holes on the sides? That bracket is supposed to be screwed down onto a piece of wood. This to keep any pushing or pulling pressure on the spigot from breaking the line. Whatever ends up being replaced, make sure that tee is properly screwed down. Since you can't get to the front of the tee then you could use some bolts and some holes drilled into a wood backing board. The point is get that tee secured so it won't move in the future.

I can't quite tell from the pictures but it looks like that tee has a threaded connection on the side that faces the wall. Can you clean it up to see if there are threads in there? If there are then you might be in luck. It might be possible to have someone on the inside holding that tee FIRMLY while someone else outside unscrews the spigot from it. BUT ONLY IF THERE ARE THEADS IN THAT TEE.

You'd have to use a decent pipe wrench to hold the tee and another one outside to turn the whole spigot assembly (remembering righty-tighty, lefty-loosey and turn it counter-clockwise to loosen it). With luck the whole spigot and section of pipe will unthread and you can pull it out through the hole to the outside. That that to a local plumbing supply place (not a Home Depot or other idiot box store) and get a new spigot that will work in the same manner.

Otherwise it'd probably be best to replace that whole tee and some of the pipe around it. What caused that discoloration? If it's due to leaks then you'd want to replace it entirely. And if you're going to do this then it'd be a good idea to put a shut-off valve on the inside so you can turn off the spigot.

But first figure out if that tee is threaded out to the spigot.
wkearney99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 07:29 AM   #9

Wkearny, thank you so much for your response! As you suggested, we'll take a look at the pipe to see if it screws in to the tee. I see what you mean about the holes in the ears and what you're saying makes sense. I wonder why someone didn't do that before. Thanks again!
Nina
Old 07-06-2012, 07:44 AM   #10
Bill Kearney

Glad to help. Just be sure that there are actually threads in there before you try turning anything. Be sure to turn off the water supply to it before trying anything. And have a plan for what you're going to do should it break. Worst case you might have to be ready to solder a cap on the line.

Just screws alone would probably not hold that tee firmly enough to allow turning out the spigot, so don't depend on it. The only right way to do turn it would be having two people with wrenches. One holding the inside while the other turns the outside. Assuming, of course, there are threads there (yes, I'm repeating this a lot to make the point). If it doesn't turn easily, and it might not due to corrosion/age, then your next step is going to be to cut off the tubing and solder in a whole new tee and spigot setup.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:54 AM   #11

Have your son back off that nut under the handel,wrap some teflon or graphite packing around the faucet and retighten the nut,and the drip should stop,and if it starts to drip again just give that nut a slight turn.
Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2012, 11:04 AM   #12
Bill Kearney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canarywood1 View Post
Have your son back off that nut under the handel
Which she already wrote her son had tried and couldn't get loose.

Last edited by wkearney99; 07-06-2012 at 04:27 PM.
Old 07-06-2012, 03:00 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by wkearney99 View Post
Which she already wrote her son had tried and couldn't get loose.

That's because it's a packing nut,and not made to be removed,just back off wrap 2-3 wraps of packing and retighten,and problem solved.

Canarywood1 is offline   Reply With Quote