Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 01-18-2013, 06:43 PM   #1

Share |

Need help replacing/fixing these valves

OK heres the story:

A few weeks ago I was looking at my plumbing behind my shower and noticed a leaking valve (right side, hot water). You'll see the pics and know why I chose teflon packing vs. replacing all the internal parts, you cant remove the valve parts due to its proximity to a 2x4.

Now a few weeks later Im getting limited hot water to my shower. I shut off the cold water valve and turn on the hot water to the shower. its apparent that the vavle will no loger open all the way and is limiting the flow of water. FYI there is plenty of hot water in all other faucets in the house.

I've never soldered (except for pin holes in a gas tank), but have most of the necessary tools. Im also reading through this, How To Solder Copper Pipes.

But how do I go about tackling this job? Lets pretend I know next to nothing but can be taught.

Thanks guys.

VTOutDoorD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:48 PM   #2
Retired from the grind

Jost go get some shark bite ball valves, couplers, and some 1/2" or 3/4, dependin on that pipe size and fix it. Figure an hour if you are slow about it.

Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Ren: Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool! Stimpy: So what'll happen? Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?
gregzoll is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 09:10 PM   #3

Those are gate valves there always trouble.
Nothing wrong with shark bite ball valves, just not sure how your going to get the whole thing back together or even take it apart without some soldering and unsoldering.
The pipe has to be able to be moved up and down to pull it apart and put it back together.
May need a to solder in a repair coupling to make your final conection.
A repair coupling is a coupling with no raised area in the center of it so it can be slid in place with out having to move the pipes.
joecaption is online now   Reply With Quote