Need Help Replacing Faucet Cartridge - Plumbing - DIY Home Improvement | DIYChatroom
Advertisement

Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Like Tree1Likes

Old 08-11-2016, 06:56 PM   #1

Rewards Points: 44

Need Help Replacing Faucet Cartridge

The hot water on my bathroom faucet is leaking, so I removed the faucet handle, but couldn't figure out how to remove the insides...is this a cartridge? What's my next step in removing this? The sink is a Kohler, but the faucet has no name brand on it. I don't want to start pulling or twisting on any of these parts until I know a bt more. Attached is a photo showing the parts...thanks for any help!
Attached Thumbnails
Need Help Replacing Faucet Cartridge-faucet.jpg  

Advertisement

gypsy57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 07:56 PM   #2

Rewards Points: 278

Re: Need Help Replacing Faucet Cartridge

Looks like a regular faucet stem. It can be removed with a socket or wrench (ccw). Take it with you to a big box, hardware, or plumbing supply store and match it up. That piece of trim should also come right off if needed.

Advertisement

jmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 08:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmon View Post
Looks like a regular faucet stem. It can be removed with a socket or wrench (ccw). Take it with you to a big box, hardware, or plumbing supply store and match it up. That piece of trim should also come right off if needed.
So, it's not a cartridge style fitting, it's a stem type. When you say "trim" do you mean the silver metal piece or the white plastic trim around the edge?
Which nut should I be clamping onto with the wrench? I'm new at this, never done one before, thanks for further info! (yes, once i get it out, I will take it to hardware store for a precise match of what I need). My problem at the moment is getting it out properly.

Old 08-11-2016, 08:39 PM   #4

Rewards Points: 1,912

I think that is a Delta. Delta uses or has in the past used that arrangement with the nylon insert in the chrome trim. There is a tool for removing it in most repair kits.
What you want to remove is the stem which is the copper part. If you can't get your wrench on it, you loosen the nylon insert with the special tool and then unscrew the chrome part by hand, then remove the stem.
After replacing the stem you would screw the chrome trim piece on by hand, then tighten the nylon insert with the tool, putting pressure on the chrome trim.
Attached Images

Last edited by hkstroud; 08-11-2016 at 08:51 PM.
hkstroud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 09:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkstroud View Post
I think that is a Delta. Delta uses or has in the past used that arrangement with the nylon insert in the chrome trim. There is a tool for removing it in most repair kits.
What you want to remove is the stem which is the copper part. If you can't get your wrench on it, you loosen the nylon insert with the special tool and then unscrew the chrome part by hand, then remove the stem.
After replacing the stem you would screw the chrome trim piece on by hand, then tighten the nylon insert with the tool, putting pressure on the chrome trim.
Thanks for the further info. I can't get a wrench on that nut/screw because of the way the nylon insert/rim sticks up around it, blocking me from properly getting at it. What is this special tool called for the insert? I may need it to get the insert loosened. If it is a Delta, maybe I can find some more specific photos or instruction on dealing with the insert. I have a socket wrench but the stem part sticking up is too high for me to fit the wrench down close enough to get at the copper bolt. I'd like to avoid taking off the nylon insert or the metal rim if I can. Is there a socket wrench size that I would need that would fit down in there to get at that bolt?
The Following User Says Thank You to gypsy57 For This Useful Post:
jeffmattero76 (08-13-2016)
Old 08-11-2016, 09:57 PM   #6

A deep socket should fit over the stem. Longer than a regular socket. You best bet is to get the Delta tool. Should find a Home Depot or Lowe's. It is almost a throw away tool. One came in a repair kit I purchased a few days ago. I probably have 2 or 3 more somewhere in my plumbing tool box.
Old 08-11-2016, 11:11 PM   #7

Quote:
A deep socket should fit over the stem. Longer than a regular socket. You best bet is to get the Delta tool. Should find a Home Depot or Lowe's. It is almost a throw away tool. One came in a repair kit I purchased a few days ago. I probably have 2 or 3 more somewhere in my plumbing tool box.
Thanks so much, I will pursue getting that delta tool to help with getting that nylon ring off. I think once i get that off, I can more easily get at the rest of the parts.
Old 08-13-2016, 12:21 PM   #8

Rewards Points: 14

While at the bog box plumbing department look for a set of faucet sockets. Typically 5 or 6 deep sockets of different sizes specifically for removing valves like yours.

Sent from my LG-D415 using Tapatalk
jeffmattero76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 05:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmattero76 View Post
While at the bog box plumbing department look for a set of faucet sockets. Typically 5 or 6 deep sockets of different sizes specifically for removing valves like yours.

Thanks for the help...would it work to cut off the plastic splined tip and that way I wouldn't need a deep socket? My existing socket then would fit if that stem plastic tip wasn't there. I'd like to avoid buying a tool or a set of tools just for this. Or would it create a problem that I"m unaware of to cut off the stem tip?
Old 08-13-2016, 05:23 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsy57 View Post
Thanks for the help...would it work to cut off the plastic splined tip and that way I wouldn't need a deep socket? My existing socket then would fit if that stem plastic tip wasn't there. I'd like to avoid buying a tool or a set of tools just for this. Or would it create a problem that I"m unaware of to cut off the stem tip?
I donf usethat type of faucet so i dont know. I would guess that if it came with the faucet you should not cut it off. You could buy the tool use it and return it.

Old 08-13-2016, 08:13 PM   #11

Quote:
I donf usethat type of faucet so i dont know. I would guess that if it came with the faucet you should not cut it off. You could buy the tool use it and return it.

My understanding of this stem tip (the plastic ribbed thing on the end), is that I will be throwing that away/replacing it anyway, because it's part of the stem unit that I'm replacing in the faucet, so it's not part of the actual faucet, it's part of the stem that is going to be pulled out and replaced.
Old 08-13-2016, 10:23 PM   #12

Go to Home Depot or Lowe's and purchase a Delta repair kit that has the tool in. Cost about $9.
Old 08-14-2016, 07:54 AM   #13

Your faucet socket wrench is going to go over the skinny knurled stem, and will loosen the nut shaped part. The plastic you are referring to is not part of the stem, as far as i can tell. It is part of the trim of the faucet. You may have to remove it to get your socket over the nut, but i don't think it will included in the new stem. Again, I only use Moen faucets so i am not that familiar with this type, except for a few i have repaired. I would suggest listening to the other guys who have responded.

Old 08-14-2016, 09:11 AM   #14

Quote:
Your faucet socket wrench is going to go over the skinny knurled stem, and will loosen the nut shaped part. The plastic you are referring to is not part of the stem, as far as i can tell. It is part of the trim of the faucet. You may have to remove it to get your socket over the nut, but i don't think it will included in the new stem. Again, I only use Moen faucets so i am not that familiar with this type, except for a few i have repaired. I would suggest listening to the other guys who have responded.

thank you for your help! (you are correct, that plastic part around the rim is not part of the stem, it's part of the faucet trim).
Old 08-14-2016, 09:12 AM   #15

Quote:
Go to Home Depot or Lowe's and purchase a Delta repair kit that has the tool in. Cost about $9.
thank you, I will keep this in mind as a solution.

Advertisement