DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Need help with pvc question

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  pipeguy 
#1 ·
Good morning.

I'd like to know from some of you folks that use pvc frequently, what size pvc piping I could use to get a 14' length that would be sturdy enough to put 2' into the ground, and have it stand straight up and be sturdy, not bend over. It's for a christmas project.

Thanks

#2 ·
You want at least 1/4 of the length in the ground, 2' is OK for a 6' fence post. 4" sched. 40 would be the minimum, sched. 80 would be better. Both come in 20' lengths and I'd stick about 4' in the ground to be on the safe side.

You also don't mention what you are doing with this pole, that could change the parameters.

#3 ·
ballhog24 said:
Good morning.

I'd like to know from some of you folks that use pvc frequently, what size pvc piping I could use to get a 14' length that would be sturdy enough to put 2' into the ground, and have it stand straight up and be sturdy, not bend over. It's for a christmas project.
Thanks
What're you doing, stringing lights from the top to the ground?

2" Schedule 80 PVC is pretty stiff and manageable by hand You can get it in 20' lengths. A good answer to your
question really requires more info about the the kind of load (weight and cross-section) you're wanting to put on the pipe. A 2' bury depth isn't going to hold much on a 12' reveal. Give us some more details about what you want to hang on the pipe.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.