DIY Home Improvement Forum banner

Need help with PVC glue selection

1K views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  buskeyl 
#1 ·
Hello,
I am preparing to insert PVC quick disconnect union into an existing pipe (pool pump application). So I need to use glue that will not set up so fast that I can’t cinch the union back together tightly after gluing and inserting the permanent ends of the union into the couplers attaching it to the existing pipe. Can someone recommend to me what brand and color code if color matters to use?

#2 ·
That union really should be assembled as a one piece unit before gluing.
If not your taking the chance of missalignment of the two 1/2's of the union.

#3 ·
Thanks for the reply. Let me describe my task better, and perhaps you can offer some additional advice? Because I am installing it into an existing pipe, I am thinking that alignment is already set up right? My main concern is horizontally making sure the union can tighten down and seal after being glued in. As a DIY guy, I may just not know the right technique. My concern about doing this is neither side of the union is movable so I can insert the union intact. I have fixed pipes on each end, so it seems I have to glue in each half of the union individually, and if I don’t measure it perfectly, the union may need to draw the pipe back out of the coupler slightly to get a solid seat right? So my plan was to measure and cut as best as I could, then quickly glue in the two halves of the union and tighten down the union as fast as possible. Otherwise I don’t know how I would get it in there? I have attached a pic of where I am trying to install the union. I can't really move the pump nor the valve..

I’ll have a similar problem getting the second union into the pump outlet.

Lee

Attachments

#4 ·
You can use what's called a repair coupling to make the final connection.
Pipe gets cut leaving enough of the pipe coming from the pump to slide the union in place, short lenght of pipe gets glued to the union, slide repair coupling over the pipe.
A repair coupling has no hub in the middle of it so it can be slid over to connect the two pieces of pipe without having to move the pipes.

Another simple way to do it would be with a hubless connector. Also called a Furnco.
No gluing needed.

#5 ·
Thanks. I actually picked up a couple of repair couplers at the store. I'm just not sure how to apply the glue. Do you just slather the glue on the pipe, ad slide the repair coupler right over it? Never heard of the frunco option. I can look into that too though. Just need to know if I have the gluing of the repair coupler right. Thanks again!

#6 ·
I slide the coupling over the area where it's going to be going and make a mark on the pipe with a pencil so I know how far to push it on.
Apply the primer first, slide the coupler over to one side to get it away from where it's going to sit. Apply the glue and slide it in place quick. It's a one shot deal.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.