Go Back   DIY Chatroom Home Improvement Forum > Home Improvement > Plumbing

CLICK HERE AND JOIN OUR COMMUNITY TODAY...IT'S FREE!

Old 12-10-2008, 10:22 AM   #1

Rewards Points: 0
Share |

need help with new gas heating

I just converted from oil to gas heating. I have two zone heat. On my old oil burner, ther was a circulator pump on the boiler and another circulator pump on the second floor. The heat worked great. When my plumber installed my new gas bolier, they removed the pump upstairs and said I didn't need it. Now, the house is freezing. On cold days, the temperature never get to what the thermostats call for. I did some tests and it seems like when one floor is calling for heat, it works well, but when both zones are calling for heat at the same time, only half of my baseboard downstairs get hot. I know nothing about this stuff, but i am assuming that the one circulator pump is not powerfuil enough for coth floors at the same time. Please help me out.

goveca2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 10:34 AM   #2

You could be right about the pumps. I would call the plumber and tell him what is going on. You said the heat worked great before he got his hands on it so it's very obvious he did something wrong.

hrjrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 12:29 PM   #3

Thanks for the response. I did contact them yesterday and they seem to think that it's not the pump. I think they're wrong because i check the water temp and everything i could check and it all seems fine. The only thing that is different is that they took that pump away. I would assume that if the oil boiler had 2 pumps, then the gas boiler also should have 2 pumps. Is there a difference that i'm not seeing?
Old 12-10-2008, 01:04 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by goveca2 View Post
Thanks for the response. I did contact them yesterday and they seem to think that it's not the pump. I think they're wrong because i check the water temp and everything i could check and it all seems fine. The only thing that is different is that they took that pump away. I would assume that if the oil boiler had 2 pumps, then the gas boiler also should have 2 pumps. Is there a difference that i'm not seeing?
The issue is head. If the pump you have is not capable of pushing the water up to the top floors then either a more powerful pump is needed or a second pump.

This is all the fault of the contractor who installed the new boiler for you and they should fix it since they were the ones who broke it.

It sounds like they are willing to come out at fix it but don't let them charge you for the fix.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:07 PM   #5

Thanks for reponding. The heat does come up on the second floor, but neither floor gets nearly enough heat. The other night, i had the heat on 72 degrees and in the morning, the thermostat read 62. I am guessing that is where the 2nd pump comes in. I am going to insist that the pump upstairs gets reinstalled. They took it with them when they removed it.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:14 PM   #6

if you had 2 stats and 2 circs "oil or gas" they have to stay the same if you have no zone valves...then the CRCULATOR is the zone feeder called from the stats with each being seperate.....sounds like the tech removed it by mistake and now their back peddleing on it....they owe you a circulatorOR tell them you want a ciculator upgrade and zone valves tied to new stats .....let us know what happens

Last edited by biggles; 12-10-2008 at 06:28 PM.
biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 06:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggles View Post
if you had 2 stats and 2 pumps "oil or gas" thy have to stay the same if you have no zone valves then the CRCULATOR is the zone feeder called from the stats with each seperate.....sounds like the tech removed it by mistake and now their back peddleing on it....they owe you a circulatorOR tell them you want a ciculator upgrade and zone valves tied to new stats .....let us know what happens

I agree. the old systems didn't have zone valves so you had a different pump for every zone and the t stat turned on the pump and the boiler.
new systems the t stat turns on the zone valve and the zone vale turns on the boiler and the one pump.

what is the BTU's of the old boiler and the new boiler. maybe the undersized the boiler.

Last edited by wazeaz; 12-10-2008 at 06:25 PM.
wazeaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 06:23 PM   #8

thank you to everyone who responded. Does anyone know how complicated it is for them to reinstall the circ pump upstairs? i don't trust this plumber and it has been a horror show from the beginning of this conversion. I want to tell him all these things so he knows that i know a little something about what is going on. Thanks again
Old 12-10-2008, 06:28 PM   #9

ok, what is a t stat and what you are saying is that even though i have a new gas boiler,i still need that second pump regardless?
Old 12-10-2008, 06:37 PM   #10

sorry wazeaz. I din't know how many btu's it is,but my new gas boiler is a weil-mclain gold cgt and it's model 1107-1. SInce i live in a house with no basement, the boiler is in the kitchen and i have no hot water heater. Everything is fed through the boiler. It was the same way with oil boiler. My house is 1472 square feet
Old 12-10-2008, 06:42 PM   #11
I have gas!

Do you know how the new boiler is zoned? Zone valves or pumps.
Are there two pumps on the boiler?
It could be as simple as air in the second floor rads.
\Could you post a picture of your new boiler?
FYI, t-stat is short for thermostat.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:55 PM   #12

there is one circ pump on the boiler. where would i see the zone valves?

wazeaz was right when he said that the t statcontrolled the pumps both upstairs and downstairs. WHen i had the oil boiler,whenever i put the temp up onthe t stat,i would hear the pump turn on right away. this was the case with both the upstairs t-statand pump as well as he downstairs t-stat and pump.

Last edited by goveca2; 12-10-2008 at 07:02 PM.
Old 12-10-2008, 06:56 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by goveca2 View Post
ok, what is a t stat and what you are saying is that even though i have a new gas boiler,i still need that second pump regardless?
you might not need the second pump if they installed zone valves.
Does the second floor registers get worm when the downstairs heat is on?
pictures would help us tell what you have.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:22 PM   #14

ok,i attached somephotos. I hope they could helpout a little. I think the boiler is 133,000 btu's. does that make sense?
Old 12-10-2008, 08:52 PM   #15

looks like you have zone valves. one is marked 1fl (first floor) and one is marked 2fl (2nd floor)
so one pump should work. If you are trying to pump up to a four story building you might need a second pump. A normal hiuse should be ok with one pump.

133,00 btu's should be able to heat a 1400 sq foot house with no problem.

maybe they have something wired wrong. maybe there is air in the rediators. I would call the pumbel and have hime fix it.